Saturday, December 28, 2013

Weekend Wonderings: The search engine. What's methylisothiazolinone (preservative)? Where can we buy Crodamol STS?

I can't do anything about the search engine. My husband is a computer guy and he assures me the problem is on Blogger's end, which has been confirmed by many other Blogger users and readers. I have written to them. I have changed the format of the blog. (I can't go back to the previous template as it was an old one, so that makes two problems for the blog.) This is making my life hell because I'm trying to write a facial products e-book, and I can't search. Believe me when I say there is nothing- I really mean this, so I'll repeat it - nothing I can do about the search engine. Nothing. I'm sorry that it is making your life more difficult, but I really am doing all I can about it. I'm not sure what else to say, so I'll just stop writing now.

In this post on making a body milk, Ayhllon asks: I found a nice face cream that claims "no parabens" reading the list of incredients I found they use methylisothiazolinone as the preservative, doing some searching I found apparently is an antimicrobial in the form of soluble concentrated liquid. Do you have any comment on it? As you know while parabens may be alright they come loaded with a bad reputation most people don't question or research.

I don't know much about methylisothiazolinone, so let's do a little research! On its own it's not a broad spectrum preservative, is water soluble, and is best at pH 2 to 10. It's sold as Optiphen MIT, in Optiphen MIT Ultra, Optiphen MIT Plus, and Rokonsal KS-4. It is sold as Kathon or Nipaguard CMB combined with methochloroisothiazolinone to be a broad spectrum preservative. It's considered safe at 0.01%.

To be honest, most of the information I find on this preservative is all about how in Europe it causes more contact dermatitis and I found very little on how it works as a preservative. Apparently this ingredient is the American Contact Dermatitis Society's Contact Allergen of 2013, and Cosmetics Europe is calling for this preservative to be discontinued in leave in products due to skin sensitivity. As far as I can tell, it's a bactericide on its own, so it isn't considered a broad spectrum preservative, which is why it's combined with other preservatives.

Anyone have any experience with these preservatives? What do you think? How did they do in your products?

Michelle asked where to buy this? Anyone have any suggestions? I received mine as a sample, so I'm not much help!


Anonymous said...

Dear Susan,
I just found the bath melt and i was wondering if it is suitable for babies because i would like to make some and give away to a friend who will soon be a mom. My concern is the baking soda and citric acid.
Happy new year!

michael888 said...

Hi Susan,as a work around can I suggest the following to search your blog:

In a Google search box type the following (not including the quote marks) - "site:[space][Web address of your blog][space][search query]".

For example:

site: polawax

Hope it's of some help.

Happy New Year!


michael888 said...

Sorry,I made an error! In Google you should type,for example, the following: polawax


Aljonor said...

I remember see methylisothiazolinone sold at the personal formulator website, but I just checked and its not there. Good luck!

Aljonor said...

Hey Susan:

I have a search engine located on the top part of your blog. That search engine locates only information from your blog. It is working for me.

Danuta Kildan said...

Aljonor is right, what a feelings. It it on the left top of page and is working as a charm. :)))

Michele said...

Top left of page for search engine.......

Keisha said...

have you considered switching to wordpress? Here is a recently article that describes how to switch in a few steps

Ruben said...

I've been using blogger's search engine at the top left corner and works fine for me.

Sue Balazsy said...

Hi Susan,
Merry Christmas!!!
Just wanted to let you know that the search bar at the top left corner is working perfectly! The search bar to the right of your blog isn't. Thought you might like to know.
Have a safe & happy New Year!!!
Kind Regards,

Mychelle said...

I feel for you on the search engine fiasco. Web design can be a nightmare! I like the new blog layout. I had to get used to it but it's easy to use. I hope you feel better soon!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thanks everyone for the information for the search engine. The one on the upper left used to be terrible, but it's working really well now. Weird!

Hi Rosi. I'm answering your question in Saturday, January 4th's Weekend Wonderings. The short answer is that I wouldn't take the chance, although there's probably no problem. I'm just worried about babies!

dizzi said...

Dear Susan, have a fab 2014 and sincere thanks for all the great info i have learned about from your ever resourceful blog. I would also like to join the comments that the search on top left is working well, and the new format is looking good. Keep up the good work and hope you have recovered from illness.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, it does have carbomer with sodium hydroxide. Thanks for your wonderful work of answering our questions.

Janine said...

Th only diy cosmetic shop I know that sells cromodal sts is in poland

Michelle said...

Hey Susan...thank you for asking on where to buy the Crodamol STS.

I tried to contact Croda directly but they seem to have a more complicated process to get it which suits a cosmetic company or business.

So my question is, can you recommend an ester that performs similar to Crodamol STS?

Thank you.


Marsha said...

Susan, I'm going to have to correct you about Optiphen MIT Plus/Ultra. While I understand the question at hand was about methylisothiazolinone(MIT), and yes alone, it isn't broad spectrum, the language you used "sold as ..." could be misinterpreted as though MIT is the sole component in these ISP products, when in fact, it is not. It is paired with either Phenethyl Alcohol or Phenylpropanol, which makes O-MIT Plus/Ultra broad spectrum. Yet you indicate that this ingredient isn't, compared to the other examples given for broad spectrum. Also, you seemed to not notice that O-MIT Plus/ Ultra has a lowered percentage of MIT, which would negate, or in the least, lower the risk of contact dermatits, which is a concern for O-MIT, with the MIT being the sole preservative property in the ingredient. Here is a link of basic technical information, directly to the manufacturer, ISP/Ashland, which provides the distinct differences between Optiphen MIT, MIT Plus and MIT Ultra.