Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Share your thoughts: How big a batch do you make for a first time product?

I've been getting lots of e-mail from people about calculating recipes in grams or ounces or percentages or volume, so I thought I'd address a few of these questions starting with this one - how big a batch should you make the first time you make something?

When I make a product for the first time, I generally make a 100 gram batch because I don't see a point in having a lot of something I might not like or something that might fail. It's a larger enough batch that I can measure it easily - very few 0.5% or 0.25% amounts - and large enough that I can try it for a week or two before using it up. I could make a few small bottles to share with others, too.

Consider your containers as well. If I'm making something to go into a lip balm container that holds 7 ml or maybe 5 grams, a 100 gram batch will be too much. Think about it for a minute...A 100 gram batch will give you something like 20 containers! How much would that cost in containers if you hate the product?

So the lesson here is to take into consideration the type of product you are making and the container in which you'll be storing it.

Share your thoughts: How large is your first batch of any product? How do you make that decision? And those of you using Imperial measurements - what is your standard sized batch?

8 comments:

Marjo said...

My tests are indeed 100gr
If it is succes and i have done all tweaking
I calculate 200 400 500 and 1000 grs on the final note
I like working with 500gr/1000gr batches
Can make enough for some people and store in
My storage (1liter containers)

Mokhe said...

I really like your method of doing a 100g batch to start for things like lotion. I do a 50g test for shampoo and conditioner bars and just 10g (about 2 tubes) for a new lip balm.

Mychelle said...

I usually do a 100-200 gram batch for a first try, most often 200. My margin of error is a little too high at 100 grams and my bottles hold about 7 ounces of product so that 200 grams fills them perfectly. I try to use up everything I make, as even the ones I don't love are reasonably nice, but sometimes first batches have to get trashed. Lip balks I do 50 gram batches. I'm such an ingredient hoarder it's painful for me to make big batches! :)

Katie Ziegler said...

I also start with 100g batches for lotions, shampoo, and conditioner. I drop to 30g for lip balm. For CP soap, I run 18 oz test batches because that's the size of my smallest mold.

I have a hard time leaving a recipe alone, so I just made my first 500g batch of lotion (based on your Rice Bran Hand Protector recipe!). Since I've also found my emulsifier, Olivem 1000, to be very finicky, I've been afraid to waste ingredients on big batches.

I'm planning on trying an emulsified scrub that I hope will be great for Christmas presents; I just don't know if 100g of base is enough volume to whip in my Kitchenaid. So I guess I have some experimenting to do!

TheTarafotty said...

How to do you effectively mix a batch as small as 100g? With my immersion blender, I find it hard to mix any batch under 400g.

Milla said...

I tend to make 150g or 160g batches for lotions and creams. I like my decimals to be only one SF like 0.8 not 0.75 for my scale. For lip balms I go with 30g.

Valerie said...

I think many people out there may be forced into making a bigger batch due to not having a scale that can accurately measure tiny amounts, mainly for the preservative. If making only a 100 g, one can't weigh 0.5 g of preservative on your average kitchen scale.

Ruf said...

As a complete amateur, I test facial oils in 10ml batches, just to avoid having wasted ingredients. That lasts me about 10 days of twice daily use if I wish to test the oil texture. However to do this with an acceptable level of accuracy I do use a scale the weighs to 2 decimal places - 0.01g.