Thursday, October 3, 2013

Thickeners: Ritathix DOE

As I mentioned in this Weekend Wonderings post, I bought Ritathix DOE, a thickener for surfactant based products and I thought I'd give it a try. Let's take a look at this thickener in this post, then look at how I use it to thicken things in tomorrow's post. Then we'll compare it to Crothix and salt early next week!

Ritathix DOE (INCI: PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Methyl Gluceth-10) is a liquid thickener that is supposed to be able to thicken non-ionic surfactants like decyl glucoside that normally don't want to thicken something like liquid Crothix. I can't find a data sheet on it anywhere - it looks like it's really new! - but I did find this suggested recipe using this ingredient from Personal Care Magazine.

From Happi:
Applications: Surfactant systems, facial washes, cleansers
Use Levels: 0.5% - 3.0%
Comments: A liquid based surfactant thickener that has the ability to thicken in very precise increments. A cold process ingredient that can be added during any phase of the manufacturing process and can be used to fine tune batch viscosity. Can be used in clear surfactant systems and does not need to be neutralized.

There are claims that this is an "all natural" thickener, but I don't see an Ecocert designation or anything else like that, so I can't really say either way. (I confirmed with a rep from the company that it is NOT ECOcert.)

I wish I had more information, but even a visit to the company's website gives me nothing, so I've had to rely on my own experience and press releases.

Join me tomorrow for fun formulating with this new thickener!

4 comments:

Kate McAfee said...

PEG compounds are excluded from ECOcert so I'm not sure how this could be claimed as natural.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

You could claim anything is natural as there isn't a legal definition. Mineral oil and silicones are natural as the word means something comes from nature. You should see the things these natural products contain and compare them to products that don't claim to be natural. They're pretty much the same thing. Everything is "derived from" something.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I am wondering how ritathix worked for your decyl glucosdie surfactant based product? I am working on a shampoo right now and am having a difficult time with thickening .. I cant use xanthan gum because of the honeyquat, so I am looking at ritathix as an alternative ...

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

HI Anonymous. Please sign off with your name as I really hate anonymous posts. A simple "Bye, (name)" is sufficient. I didn't like Ritathix. It feels a bit slimy and doesn't thicken as well as Crothix. Just my two cents...