Wednesday, October 23, 2013

If you want to use my writing...

Thank you to my you, my lovely readers, for your comments. The work has been removed, but I'm still not happy with what the company had to say about why it happened. I think the explanation is that they were really busy and couldn't contact me because they didn't have my contact information? I'm still not sure and I've asked for clarification. 

If you want to use my writing, permission in advance is required, and an attribution and link to the blog is expected. Please don't copy my work. There are a few blogs I've found that lift the material they want from my blog and don't give me credit. Some have copied my charts and entire posts, others sections, and it's all not very nice. (The most recent is this one from New Directions Aromatics - which has been taken down.)

Yeah, I know, once something's in the wild I can't control it, but give credit for the hard work of others.

I left a very popular craft forum because I was told I wasn't being very nice when I saw someone take credit for the bath cupcake recipe Anne-Marie at Brambleberry perfected, so I take this matter seriously. We give you, our wonderful readers, so much and we ask for very little in return, could you be kind and recognize the hours we've put into the work we present?

I really hope this post is taken in the manner in which it is offered, which us to say that this is a plea on behalf of all of us who write blogs, recipes, and tutorials to respect what we do and acknowledge our work. When you use a different oil or another emulsifier it's your recipe, but it's yours not because of that little change but due to the work you invested in it. By crediting us with the work we've done, you're honouring our time and creativity. And that feels pretty darn good.

Thus endeth the rant...

An update: Sylvia from New Directions Aromatics says it was an oversight and apologized. The apology explained very little other than someone other than Sylvia messed up and they couldn't get in contact with me because it was difficult? I'm not really sure what happened, except that someone other than Sylvia screwed up. It was actually a little insulting, but at least it's down from their site.

10 comments:

marjo said...

good you point this out Susan! in all fields creative this mentioning sources seems to be something.. ignored

Michele said...

Well said Susan, could not agree more......

Lise M Andersen said...

I visited the post and left a comment. These folks deliver all over the world.. I cannot imagine them not making right by you. What a disappointment to find others have stolen your work and take credit for it!

Katherine Chiu said...

That's not a rant, Susan, it's simple courtesy and professionalism to properly credit others for their intellectual contributions.

Plagiarizing is simply unacceptable, no matter how it's done. I hope it was a simple oversight, and they correct the post.

Mayren Mayfair said...

Thank you soo much Susan for all your hard work and Extreme generosity you've provided to the world over the years. I know I personally miss your banter on some said forums, but I completely understand.

I stand with you in the request for proper attribution, and would personally request more for you.

Melissa Rivera said...

Susan..So sorry to hear that you had to point this out. However I do understand that you and many others take lots of time to experiment and blog so we can learn from you. I do list you as a resource for my students and always forward your emails when I know one of my students would be interest in something in particular. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Sherri Williamson said...

I have seen your site many times over the last few years with I google a question about the products I make. I finally thought to register to receive the blog and I am so thankful for the information you make so readily available. I would love to post your info on the blog I will be writing and will ask you before I do. This is an industry right now where the opportunities are almost unlimited and we can learn and give, one to another. I have been raised "a workman is worthy of his hire" You should and will get from me all the credit you and your work deserve.

Anonymous said...

Was about to leave a comment on New Directions page, but the article has been removed. Its only fair that they credit the original author.

Katie Ziegler said...

You work so hard and give so much! I spend hours here learning from you, and you deserve so much more than my simple "thank you" for the knowledge and the confidence I've picked up here. I've been wanting to email you my most recent story of how you not only helped me make a great skin cream, but probably also saved me from a nasty situation while I was in a foreign country.

So it makes me so angry that someone would violate the trust you give by sharing your experience. You shouldn't have to ask for credit. I can't imagine how anyone could come here and blatantly ignore how much of yourself you give for your posts. Ack! Now I'm starting to rant!

Anonymous said...

Agree with you one hundred percent. I always try to live by the "Give credit where credit is due". I always send people over to your blog to read for themselves. You are quite popular on the Facebook groups. Love your blog and all your posts...such a wealth of information!

Diana