Saturday, October 12, 2013

A few of Swift's favourite things!

Sorry, no Weekend Wonderings this weekend as we're away celebrating Raymond's birthday. (It's Canadian Thanksgiving, but we thought we'd celebrate by leaving the country and going to the States for a weekend away! We're in Portland, Oregon, enjoying the food carts and Powell's Books!) Here are a few of my favourite products that you might consider making this long weekend, if you have one! 

Actually, we didn't go away as the border line-up was way too long, so look for Weekend Wonderings Sunday and holiday Monday! 

I love this anhydrous eye shadow primer, and I admit that every time I use it, I want to pat myself on the back for creating something awesome. (Yeah, I know I'm ultra-humble...) I love this product, and I'm still surprised that someone with skin as oily as mine can use it! If you're a more visual type, check out the SnapGuide I created about this product.

Winter is coming, so consider making a really lovely body butter and a scrub of some sort to make sure your skin doesn't suffer the ravages of the cold and the wind! Consider making this foot care package or this solid scrub bar. Throw in a nice whipped butter, too! If you're new to bath & body products, check out this post on making whipped butters or the Newbie Tuesday when we made body butter!

If you're comfortable working with water based products, check out this Newbie Tuesday post on making a body butter or a thick cream!

And if you live in the southern hemisphere where summer is coming, consider adapting some of your favourite recipes for the warmer months. Although, I have to ask, how cold does it really get in the southern hemisphere? Does the weather go from warm to much warmer? I mean, you aren't getting snow in Australia, are you?

Consider these posts - summer product ideas, adapting your products for summer, and what's your favourite summer fragrance? - if you're from the lands down under!

And a reminder for those of you who might be interested in taking a class with me that I'm offering the first one on Saturday, October 19th from 10:00 to 4:00 pm at Voyageur Soap & Candle - the anhydrous class. Everyone who attends gets a printed copy of the Back to Basics e-book and we'll be making quite a few no-water-added products and playing with oils in the oil bar, giving you a chance to find try something new and compare it to something old. I'm offering the hair care and lotion making classes in November, if you're interested. (Click here for the list of classes in a previous post.)

I'd love to hear your feedback on the idea of classes, for instance, reasons that you would like to take it but can't, whether a shorter class or a class over two weekends would work, what topics might interest you, and so on, including ideas for dates and times in the future. And if you would like to have me teach somewhere near you, have them get in touch with me! I love to travel - although it would have to be subsidized if I can't drive there in ten hours or so - but we might be able to figure something out!

I've also heard that you'd like to see some videos of me teaching. I don't know how feasible that will be, but you can look forward to more videos in the near future. I just have to get that tripod for my birthday and/or Christmas and I can do more! 

Join me tomorrow for a few more of my favourite posts before we're home on Monday!

3 comments:

Susie said...

Hi Susan,
In Australia we have all weather conditions much the same as North America, ranging from desert to tropical cyclones to snowfields.
I live in Sydney and this year we had the "weather go from warm to much warmer". It was one of the warmest winters on record with the average for July being 68'F and August 70'F with odd days of up to 77'.
My sister lives in Melbourne 550 miles south and her average winter day temperature was around 55'F and the nights as low as 41'F.
We have 2 major snow areas located in the Great Dividing Range but we have very short winters in comparison to the Northern Hemisphere.
Hope this gives you a brief idea of what weather we enjoy here in the 'land down under'.

I have been looking forward to your gel formulations and hope to be able to try some of the recipes this weekend. Thanks again for such a fun and educational blog and moreso the time you give.
Susie

Amy JB said...

In the South Island of New Zealand we most certainly get snow during winter and the Southern Alps have some snow on them for pretty much all of the year. Some lovely skiing for those into that :)

Thanks for your great blog Susan.

Amy JB said...

Oh and I want to thank you for considering us too. My inbox is being spammed with ideas for Fall, which is fine because I get that most people are up north but it's nice to have someone thinking of us.