Friday, September 20, 2013

Ingredient: PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil - Yuzu fragrance oil and peppermint essential oil

I've been experimenting with PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil and my fragrance oils. We took a look at the methods I'm using to test this ingredient, and I've reported my results with black amber lavender and Clementine cupcake fragrance oils already. What happens when I use Yuzu fragrance oil and peppermint essential oil with this solubilizer?

YUZU FRAGRANCE OIL
As I mentioned in this post, I added the PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil and fragrance oil into a container, mixed it well, then added that mix to the test tube. I added some warm water - about 10 ml - and stirred. When it was incorporated, I added enough water to make 24 grams. I made up three batches - 2%, 4%, and 5.88% - but the 5.88% tube had a fly in on day 11, so that one isn't part of the results, but they were very similar to the other test tubes. I left t

I worried the spasms of the fly might count as mixing, so I left out those results. Plus, you know, giant confounding factor in the fly and I didn't want to think about having to include it in every recipe from now one. You can picture it, eh? Heated water phase - water, PEG-40 hydrogenate castor oil, house fly (large-ish).


Success! Look at this! Day 11 and it looks clear and well incorporated. What can I say? This is awesome! And to make it more awesome...today is day 17 and it still looks like this! Woo!

PEPPERMINT FRAGRANCE OIL
I followed the same process for the peppermint fragrance oil, and it is looking similarly awesome.


To compare it to the Yuzu fragrance oil - this picture taken on day 17, today - you can see it is well solubilized and clear.

Not all mixtures are when made with this product. I made this body spray for a young man with 10% PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil with 2% with the Axe Phoenix fragrance oil, and added it to 87.5% distilled water and 0.5% liquid Germall Plus, and it turned out to be white. I don't mind this, to be honest, because we aren't expecting fragrances to always be clear!


Join me Monday as I do a solubilizer wrap up with information on all the solubilizers I've tested so far!

2 comments:

Aljonor said...

Hey Susan:
Enjoy your vacation. I have a question; how do you determined how much peg-40 to use and do you know the effects it has on the hair. I have seen this ingredient list in leave-in sprays but don't know if it add value to hair.

thanks

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Aljonor. You'll find it in hair care products as a solubilizer. It will work as an emollient ingredient, but you don't want to use much. Just enough to help solubilize your oil soluble ingredients. I don't think it adds much - it's an emollient, not a conditioning product.