Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ingredient: PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil - the results for Black Amber Lavender and Clementine Cupcake (part 1)

I'm quite excited to be playing with PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, which is a new-to-me solubilizer that promises to improve foam and create clear solutions. Yesterday, I told you about the experiments I did with this solubilizer, and today we'll take a look at some of the results!

BLACK AMBER LAVENDER FRAGRANCE OIL


On day 6 I re-visited the test tubes. I haven't mixed them or moved the tubes since I put them in the rack. From the left, I have the 2%, 4%, and 5.88% tubes. (The 4% tube lost some water, so I'm not counting it in my results.) As you can see from the picture, we have a clear solution in which there aren't any discernable floating oils or things at the bottom. Woo!


In this close up I took on day 11, you can see there's nothing at the bottom and nothing floating at the top. It's still clear. I would call this successful indeed!



And on day 12, it's still looking good. I shook it up and the solution was clear and had a bit of a foamy head, but it's still clear.

I have to point something out...there's a fly in the tube. I know this. That's why I'm ordering test tube stoppers and didn't include the Yuzu 4% solution in my notes for that fragrance oil. I think this is a good reminder why we must cover everything up all the time! Damned fly! 

CLEMENTINE CUPCAKE FRAGRANCE OIL



For some strange reason, I didn't manage to get pictures on day 6 so this is from day 11 of the cupcake scented tubes, but my notes are the same for both days. The water in the tube is a little coloured - I think it's a light yellow or light orange - but it's very subtle. It's almost unnoticeable unless you compare it to a white thing, like the back of my test tube rack. There's a little bit of goo on the side of the container, and I think a bit of it in the 2% tube looks like it's stuck to the side, almost like water droplets. I noticed this on all the cupcake fragrance oil tubes and none of the others, so it's something to do with this specific fragrance's interaction with the PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil.

I shook it up on day 12, and the little drips are still there, so I'm not sure what that's about. I'm going to do some more testing on vanilla based fragrances to see if this is just about this specific fragrance or vanilla in general.


This is what happened with caprylyl/capryl glucoside when I did some fragrance solubilization projects,  and you can see there's a huge difference using the PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil!  Compare this to the pictures above, and you'll see why a few little drips are nothing to write home about! What we have on day 12 is a clear, slightly yellow or orange mixture with no precipitate or oil floating on top. I call this a success!

Join me Friday as we take a look at the tests I did with Yuzu fragrance oil and peppermint essential oil before I share my opinion on this solubilizer with you. (Although I think you can see where this might be going...)

No comments: