Sunday, August 25, 2013

It's holiday time! And some questions of you, my wonderful readers.

Today marks the first day of my holiday time! I don't go back to work until the 10th! Wow! Don't get me wrong, I love my job, but it's nice to be unscheduled. Sleeping in, playing in the workshop, writing the blog, playing more Animal Crossing: New Leaf, spending time with Raymond, spending time with my mom, cuddling with Blondie, crafting, sewing, making jewellery, reading, working out, and so on. We might go camping for a few days, we might just stay home. School starts again on the 3rd - I'm taking biology this semester - and that's the first obligation I have!

Yes, my Animal Crossing town is called Hodor, and I'm trying to get them all to say Hodor as greetings and catch phrases! My shirt says Hodor and my town flag is also Hodor! My town tune? The opening riff to The Trooper by Iron Maiden! I love this game so much! It really is the game that you feel you have to share with everyone you know because it's just too awesome!*

I can't wait for some workshop time. I'm out of just about everything! I just gave my mom a 1 ounce bottle of bubble bath because there's nothing left! I'm watering down conditioners and leave in conditioners to make them last longer! Look for loads of posts about making products with tons of recipes in over the next month as I get into the workshop and play with all my new ingredients.

A few thoughts for you, my wonderful readers: What are you making right now? What are you working on this week? What is giving you grief and frustration? (Click here for Formulating Friday!) What products interest you?

One of the great things about workshop time is that I get to play. I'm going to make all the stuff I need - body wash, bubble bath, hair care stuff, and so on - but I want to play around with some new products, including trying out a few new ingredients and working futher with gels.

One of the things on my list of things to formulate is a BB cream, which might stand for blemish balm or beauty balm. From Wikipedia, "BB cream is promoted as an all-in-one facial cosmetic product to replace serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation and sunblock. It can be worn alone as a tinted moisturizer, over serum and moisturizer as a regular foundation, and under powder, depending on the desired amount of coverage." We won't be doing the sunscreen part, but I think it's a fascinating idea for an all-in-one product. This won't be the kind of product where I make it today and it's perfect. Nope, this one is going to take some time!

Having said all of this, Voyageur Soap & Candle have beat me to it with their BB cream post on their everyBODY beauty blog

To those of you asking for the facial products e-book. I'm working on it, I swear! The problem with facial products is that they take time to test out and get responses about because facial skin can be so picky! I can make a body butter and hear back in a few days. It can take about a week for a pimple to surface from using a product, and it can take a few days for people to see other types of reactions, things we don't worry about with body skin care products. When a base product works out, I have to tweak it using various cosmeceuticals, extracts, vitamins, and so on that we might want to use on our face or around our eyes or lips, and that takes more testing, too. I hope to have it out by the end of the year!

I'm working with Voyageur Soap & Candle in Surrey, B.C., to offer some classes with them. I should get my ideas to them by the end of next week or so. Do you have any suggestions for classes I could offer? I was thinking about doing some two part classes - the first part would be about making something, the second about modifying or customizing it - and hair care classes. What else might interest you?

And finally, if you have written up a comment or a message, I'll be getting to as many as I can over the next two weeks. I have a to do list I have to get through - which includes coming up with those class ideas and planning for upcoming craft groups with the kids - but once that's done, I'll be burning through the...get this...3,168 e-mail I have at the moment. (Wow...that's a lot!)

*As an aside, if you are looking for a really lovely video game for someone that isn't violent or doesn't cost real life money to make things grow, I encourage you to check out Animal Crossing. You catch bugs or fish and donate them to the museum, you decorate your house, you maintain the beauty of your town, you talk to animals who live near you and send them presents through the mail, and so on. It really is a magical game! (I have to make it really clear that I am saying this as someone who loves the game, not as someone paid to say this.) As a family counsellor and youth group mentor, I recommend this game all the time. It's available on Nintendo consoles - Game Cube, Wii, DS, and 3DS. (It's a real time game in that right now it is Sunday, August 25th, 2013 at 1:18 pm in the game.)

7 comments:

LSG said...

I have been making bubble bath and body wash lately. I have only done one bubble bath and it turned out to be pretty expensive because I wanted it to be mild. I used Cocamidpropyl Betaine, Sodium Olefin Sulfonate,Stephan Mild BSB, glycerin, distilled water, fragrance and preservative. I would love to see you post a recipe for mild bubble bath that was more economical.
Thanks,
Linda

Deirdre Garza said...

As you mentioned, facial products can be tricky, especially for those of us with oily/acne-prone skin. I'd love to learn more about products that won't cause my skin to break out, but that also provide anti-aging benefits. Even though my skin breaks out, I'm not a teenager anymore and I need products that account for this. I'll keep an eye on Voyageur's schedule for your classes!

Jen said...

I hope to get busy learning how to make cream soap (KOH type) any day now. I have been learning for years how to make solid shampoo and conditioners from your blog and ebooks, various input from fellow formulators. The bars work great for my hair, but allegedly not for a co-worker of mine. She has tried about every variation I could conceive for her and her hard water woes. However, no success in solid form. She didn't like how it made her hair feel and she didn't like using a bar. So, she asked me to make a liquid version. I think I have finally reached her shampoo nirvana by working backwards from the solid to a liquid and trying different dilutions. For all intents and purposes, I am making a solid bar with the addition of DW at an amount needed to create a creamy consistency. It's unorthodox in method, but I made sure to keeep my preservative at a level to cover the entire volume. Thanks again for all the encouragement to try different things and for helping us understand what we are putting into our products. I have learned so much.

Chris said...

I'm planning to modify the feel/texture of a serum called KinNiaNAG. Ever heard of it?

I plan on replacing the oil phase with 1% Hydroxyethylcellulose. No idea how I would go about doing that, but that's what experimenting is for!

Aljonor said...

I am working on a shampoo for dry hair and scalp, which is very difficult for me as all shampoos seems harsh. But I do have a question Susan as I believe I read it somewhere on your blog, but cannot locate it. When I complete my product, I weigh it to see the total weight; however I am usually short 2 ounces even after adding water that evaporated during the heat and hold process.

I want to know if I must add extra water to reached the total weight or can I leave it alone? The reason why I ask is because the texture of my products changes and I find that it feels different.

Thank you

Aljonor said...

Congratulations! Susan on your workshops. As a beginner learner, I was very grateful for knowing about the basic ingredients that you should have in your shop. This guide helped me avoid spending money on things I did not need immediately. Most of the ingredients you gave on your web are multi-functional. Maybe a list would be helpful for the workshop

cedarusdeodora said...

The last two weeks I do not have enough time for myself. I use a cream for hands and body from the store. But there are still stocks of everything else!
I did yesterday, solid shampoo and conditioner, and facial scrubs and body to change them for dry lavender