Thursday, July 18, 2013

Fragrance oils and our products!

One of the things we don't seem to think about a lot is the impact of our fragrance oils on our product. As much as people want to have natural this or organic that, I've read that the number one reason someone chooses a product is the fragrance. (Looking for the reference! I know I have it around here somewhere!)

These body washes are one of the reasons to give your products time. These are the same uncoloured body wash with one small difference - the fragrance oil. The one on the left contains Yuzu fragrance oil, the one on the right contains Sweet Meyer Lemon (both from Brambleberry). The one on the left is the original colour, but cloudy. The colour change was obvious on day two, but a few weeks later, it's really really pink (and very nice, I might add).

I've written about this topic before, but I think it's an important one - things that seem so little, like adding a fragrance oil, can result in big changes, and we need to give our products time to morph! This blue raspberry body wash was a lovely turquoise blue for the first few weeks, then it became a seaweed kinda green, which wasn't as lovely.

Vanilla can really discolour our products, hence the need for non-discolouring vanilla or vanilla stabilizer. I make really lovely bath bomb cupcakes (original recipe by Anne-Marie of the Soap Queen blog), but they can get a horrible brown ring under the icing if I use vanilla or vanilla based fragrance oils. Using some stabilizer with something that might contain vanilla - for instance, Cream Cheese Frosting or Clementine Cupcake - means we won't get that horrible brown ring! Vanilla can colour your lotions, too. If you see something with a slightly brown tone, you've probably used something with vanilla. Don't worry - the product is fine, it's just a bit beige.

Related posts about fragrances:
Surfactants and fragrances: Clarity
Surfactants and fragrances: Viscosity

Related posts:
Give it time
A few thoughts about starting a business
Would you start a bakery with a Duncan Hines mix?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Susan,

I am new to making my own products. I recent came across some articles claiming that fragrance oils are synthetic, evil brews that will wreak all kinds of havoc on a person's body and mind. (Well, OK, I am exaggerating a bit, but I have to wonder what the fuss is about.)

Some fragrance oils smell so wonderful, I'd hate to have to eliminate them from my cosmetic arsenal.

I look forward to your comments on this subject.

Thanks!
Al

Anonymous said...

UPDATED: I've done quite a bit of research on the subject and have my answers.

There is great info at Fragrantica, Basenotes, Perfumers Apprentice, The Good Scents Company and assorted blogs.

Al