Thursday, July 25, 2013

A thought on beachy or salt hair sprays

I love the way my hair looks after a day at the beach, all wild and untamed and not frizzy (for some strange reason!), but please note that these salt sprays increase the friction between your hair strands, which can lead to irreversible damage! The salt coats your hair, which makes the strands rub against each other more. More friction, more damage. If you want to use a spray like this, don't make it a regular thing and use lots of conditioner when washing and styling your hair.

Also note, there is no significant difference between using sea salt or table salt in a product like this. I've seen people saying that sea salt contains fewer chemicals than table salt. It doesn't. (

"All salt, whether labelled table salt or sea salt, comes from a salted body of water—namely, an ocean or salt-water lake.  Some salt makers use water or deposits from today’s oceans; others use deposits evaporated from oceans in previous geological eras. In other words, all salt is “sea” salt." (

I'm writing this post in response to the many many salt spray recipes I'm seeing lately. Always consider the reliability and level of expertise of the recipe and tutorial writer before trying something you find online. 


Roberta said...

So let's have a recipe for sea salt hair spray! Bring it on. Roberta

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for being the voice of reason! I wince every time I see something labeled "natural" as if that's a guarantee of anything. Love your blog.

Irene said...

I recently purchased John Masters Organics sea salt spray and noticed that curiously it does not contain any preservatives. The ingredients listed are water, salt, & lavender essential oil – that's it. Does the salt act as a preservative? And does this mean that the salt content must be rather high? If this is the case I figure I can save a few dollars and just replicate this myself at home. Your expert opinion on this would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Irene. There's maybe 2% salt in the salt spray, so it's not enough to preserve it. I'm not sure why they aren't using a preservative! If you want to make it, start with 2% salt and see how you like it. If you think you want more, then add a little more, but only do a bit at a time!