Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Why you do this?

Working out right now is an adventure in sweaty grossness, and I have to wash my hair every single day right now (not a good thing, I know)! This morning I found I had forgotten to pack my leave in conditioner and anti-frizz, but rather than dash home, I thought I'd do a little test to see what would happen...

I have huge hair today, which is kinda awesome, to be honest. It was harder to brush and it's more frizzy and undefined at the ends, but it's not as untamed as I thought it might be. It was quite the happy accident, I think! 

Every once in a while I like to try something different to see if there's a good reason for doing what I'm doing. For instance, I tried using less conditioner a few years ago and found that I needed about half of what I thought I did! (Scroll down a bit to see the links!) Today I learned that I would like to make a lighter leave in conditioner - I think I'll go down to a max of 2% cationic quats and oil soluble things -  and maybe make a detangler with cetac and volumizing complex with some oat protein with nothing oil soluble at all. (I really want some time this weekend in the workshop!!!) 

Here's my question of the day: What have you done by accident that taught you something? 

8 comments:

SarahF said...

I was playing with a new ingredient once (Hibiscus Extract) and decided to make a conditioner with it in - it turned out the most luscious pink colour and is still a huge sensation with my wholesale clients!
It taught me to definitely keep notes (which I had), don't be afraid to experiment and you could have a winning formulation!

Mychelle said...

I also stopped using my leave-in conditioner about a year ago. I forgot it on a trip and realized my hair goes longer between washes without it. And I learned my rinse-out conditioner has great detangling and smoothing, I just hadn't given it a chance! My experiments ditching my frizz serum weren't so successful however...

catherine said...

2 recent things:

. Colored my hair 'dirty.' I'd always thought hair should be washed the day before coloring. But I noticed when I colored my hair 2-3 days after washing the color held better and my hair seemed healthier.

. I put body sunscreen on my face and noticed it gave my skin a nice natural dewy glow vs. my much pricier face moisturizer w spf.

IrishMolly said...

I was playing with making a pomade with Candelilla Wax and it turned out to give this amazing shine to my horses tails. I had never seen anything like it

Katherine Chiu said...

Learned that putting silicone face primer on before mineral makeup kept the makeup looking fresher and more "dewy" than without!

Jodi said...

... added 2 packets of instant coffee and 2 T cocoa to my brown sugar scrub. Wow! I love it for morning showers!

Aljonor said...

I turned my instant conditioner into a deep conditioner when I accidentally left it in longer. Now I am making a more lighter instant conditioner

Alexis said...

I was making a prep lotion (detangler) and to that end it was awful. After looking over the ingredients (all were water soluble), I decided there was no reason I couldn't use it on my face. I found out that it worked nicely to smooth fine wrinkles on my eyelids. Since then, I make a "toner" out of any water phase ingredients I want to put in a face lotion to see what it does for me before making the lotion.