Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why our hair turns gray!

I'm writing this post a little later than I expected, but did you know they've figured out why our hair turns gray? (Following up from this post!) 

"Going gray is caused by a massive build up of hydrogen peroxide due to wear and tear of our hair follicles. The hydrogen peroxide ends up blocking the normal production of melanin, our hair's natural pigment. Melanin is the pigment responsible for hair color, as well as skin color, and eye colour."  (Read more here...) 

"[P]eople's hair goes gray because of massive oxidative stress caused by a build up of hydrogen peroxide in hair follicles. This causes hair to bleach itself from the inside out. The researchers found that this massive build up of hydrogen peroxide can be reversed with a UVB-activated compound called PC-KUS, a modified pseudocatalase. The research team developed this new proprietary treatment." (Read more here...) 

So we're self-bleaching? That last sentence is why we're hearing so much about this four years after the initial study. My husband has vitiligo, and apparently this proprietary treatment will be appropriate for him. 

I've decided to cultivate my gray hair rather than dying for three reasons: One, I seriously don't have the time or money to dye my hair every six weeks. Two, I don't want to damage my hair more than necessary. And three, I want to have waist length white hair like my former boss, Mrs. Edwards, who looked like an Ice Queen! I realize this might also make the kids on my block think I'm a creepy witch lady, but either way - result! 

What are you doing with your gray hair? 

9 comments:

Carol said...

I like to call my grey hairs silver. I was hoping for some streak, but alas I'm doing the salt and pepper. I love my silver! I have dark hair so they stand out very nicely. My very own highlights. Also, I wanted to be like this Chinese poet I saw as a child. She had the most wonderful long snow white hair. I'm aiming to be like her.

Topher said...

Nothing at the moment - mostly because I do not have grey hair. Hopefully it won't ever turn gray. Not sure if ethnic hair is less prone to greying.

Anonymous said...

In my late 30s and early 40's, i plucked my grays. Then I relented and colored my hair. And THEN a cancer diagnosis and chemotherapy treatment, took away all my hair !
Now I cherish each strand and would not consider plucking, or coloring!
Interestingly enough, I don't think as many grays came back. Either that, or I'm just in a better, more accepting place after my experience. (Yes, it's the latter)
Bring on the grays - just let me keep my hair!
Cheers!
Merilyn

Minaz Aslam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Minaz Aslam said...

Hi Susan, Thanks for all your posts. They are informative and entertaining.

I have probably 15 to 20 grey hair and I apply henna combined with herbs like brahmi and amla. It gives amazing reddish tinge, and makes my hair soft and shiny.

Madeaj said...

I enjoyed my gray hair, but I use henna, amla, brahmi and other herbs on my hair and scalp. The herbs calm my scalp and skin issues. Since I started using henna I have not had dandruff, excessive itching or psoriatic breakouts. Even my doctor is intrigued.

I do love the color, shine and manageability that comes with the henna.

Randi Carr said...

Hi Susan,

It's kind of funny, the different perspectives people have about grey hair. My Grandma had 9 children and she wanted grey hair sooo bad as she felt she deserved it (well she wanted white, but either way she did not want brown anymore). Then at 87 years old she was fighting lymphoma and lost all her hair with the chemo. While she was hairless she always wore a white wig. Then she won the cancer battle (remarkable especially at 87!) and her hair came back... she figured it would be white and it came back the same brown it had always been. At this point she gave up (she's 92 now, still with brown hair).

Anyhow, at 35 years old I have quite a bit of white in my hair and I do not cover it. I cherish every strand. And I think I probably always will as they will always remind me of my grandma :)

Steven said...

Hi, what do you think about making cream or lotion with hydrogen peroxide? I'm thinking about adding the standard 3% HPO solution (which is stable to begin) to the cool-down phase of an emulsion.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Steven! Why are you doing this? What does hydrogen peroxide bring to the product?