Sunday, June 9, 2013

A few thoughts for an early June Sunday

It's been a wild and wacky week around here! Work has been incredibly busy, and I have a chemistry midterm tomorrow! I spent the day at a baby shower - he's so cute! - so I haven't had time to look at the blog for a few days and check out the comments or email messages. I see each as they come in, but I haven't had time to really sit down and read them through like I normally would on a weekend morning. Thank goodness I have vacation time at the end of the month to catch up on sleep and life!

I'm working on what seems like a metric tonne of projects right now, including the decyl glucoside recipes, the comparisons of esters and silicones, a lip balm guide, and some chemistry posts. You'll see the fruits of that labour and more later this week and over the next few weeks. 

I've just created what I consider to be a great and easy toner for my newly diagnosed rosacea (not a treatment, but a nice feeling product for my face!). 20% each peppermint hydrosol and aloe vera, 28% each chamomile hydrosol and witch hazel, 2% each panthenol and hydrolyzed oat protein, and 0.5% liquid Germall plus. I'm finding it feels cooling on my skin when my face goes red and it's soothing when I start feeling too warm as the temperature gets closer to 30C outside. It's very like my cooling spray, but I am enjoying the peppermint hydrosol over the essential oil on my face. 

And a thought - Really consider diluting some of your hair care recipes! I mentioned the other day that I was surprised to see how weighted down my hair was feeling with my leave in conditioner, so I watered a tiny bit down today and was shocked to see how fluffy, but manageable, my hair could be. If you want to try this I suggest measuring out 99 to 99.5 grams of distilled water and adding 0.5% to 1% preferred preservative to it. Remove a small amount of leave in or rinse off conditioner - say 20 grams? - and add the water to it. In my case, I used 15 grams of leave in conditioner to 15 grams water and preservative. Shake well and use. The reason I say to use that much water is to make it easier to figure out the tiny bit of preservative you will use. And the reason I say to use only a few grams of conditioner is that it will be a one time only usage. So why the preservative? Because some of you will want to keep it and I have to make sure it will be safe if you do. The one time only part is because it won't stay emulsified. I see readers wanting to include huge amounts of oils in products - really consider how weighted down a simple recipe without oils can brand try making a lower oil or butter product and trying it out. You don't need to use a ton of supplies - try a 109 gram batch! 

I better run so I can do some last minute revising. In the meantime, here are a few pictures for you. The first is my caffeine molecule embroidery project. We enjoyed embroidery at craft group Thursday. The second was the tiny bottles class, taught by Desiree, where we made these adorable potion bottles for jewellery! And the third is of the henna group from last week where we all learned how to decorate ourselves! 

All of these classes are sponsored by readers like you who donate for the e-books! Thank you! 


Minnie said...

Good luck on your midterm!

Marg said...

Hi Susan Can you clarify the ingredients for the toner you made? You said you used 20% peppermint and aloe. The IFRA usage rate for peppermint oil is no more than 2%, so I'm wondering if the peppermint was in some diluted form. Thank you, love your blog! marg

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Peppermint hydrosol! I forgot to put it was hydrosol! I've corrected it now. 20% peppermint essential oil would be a sure sign of insanity, and it wouldn't emulsify without help.