Saturday, May 25, 2013

Weekend Wonderings: Using liquid extracts, freezing butters, and using different preservatives!

In this Weekend Wondering post on using extracts, Karen asks: Hi Susan. I was wondering if using liquid oil soluble extracts would they be included as part of the oil % phase or water phase? 

If something is oil soluble, you put it with the oil soluble ingredients. If something is water soluble, put it with the water soluble ingredients. But check with your supplier about the temperature range for those ingredients! If they can't be heated, they go into the cool down phase regardless of being oil or water soluble!

Related posts:
Question: How do you know when to add an ingredient?
Back to the very basics: What you need to know about making any product (part 1)
Facial scrubs: Using oil based extracts
Using oil soluble green tea extract in our products
Fun with chemistry: Solubility
Chemistry: Solubilizers, dispersers, and emulsifiers

In this post - Heating, holding, freezing & thawing our ingredients - Leman asks: I realise this is an old post. Just wanted to ask if I can freeze butters like shea and cocoa? 

There are no old posts! And yes, you can freeze them!

Related posts:
Heating and holding our ingredients
Question: How do you know when to add an ingredient?

In this post - Preservatives: How do they work? - Anonymous asks: When making the scrub, why did you choose to use phenonip instead of germaben plus? Curious. Cheers

Phenonip is a paraben based preservative, and they are more suitable for oil based or anhydrous products. As much as I love liquid Germall Plus, it isn't suitable for products that don't contain water.

Related posts:
Oil or emulsified scrub?
Water activity and sugar/salt scrubs
Preservative comparison chart (PDF)

I'm going to ask again - please do not post anonymously! A simple "Bye, (name)" fosters a better sense of community and reduces mean-ness. I've posted the request on the right hand side of the blog, so you can find it on every page! I've been deleting posts that don't have names attached to them regardless of topic. Dear readers, please do this simple thing for me? Besides, you can't win e-books when I don't know who you are!

Have a question? I cull these from the comments I've seen this week, but if you can't find a suitable post, click here and ask away! 


Carol Holmes said...

Hi Susan, I know this is off topic but I want to make an exfoliating foot scrub. My local supplier doesn't have pumice which is an ingredient in the solid scrub bar for feet on your blog. Any thoughts on using ground walnut shells instead. Thanks
Carol Holmes

Anonymous said...

Thanks Susan for answering my question on extracts. Fun watching your emulsion video :)

Creme Chemist said...

Hi Susan,
I am the culprit who asked the anonymous question about scrubs and phenonip. Thanks so much for a answering as you could have totally canned my post and would have been well within your right to do so!