Thursday, May 9, 2013

There are no old posts...

I see it all the time, someone commenting that a post that isn't from the last few months is an "old post". There are no old posts! I receive comments on all of them, and respond when I get a chance or thank someone for their thoughts. I want every post on this blog to be relevant, and I go back and update them when I get new information or find a new ingredient or learn something new that contradicts something I may have written. So write what you wish on any post - we'll see it!

This is one of the reasons I started the Weekend Wonderings! It's so you'll see all the interesting comments on older posts! 

If you want me to help you trouble shoot a recipe, please include the recipe and the process you followed. I don't have time to write back to ask you to include this, so if I haven't answered your comment or question, it might be that you didn't include this information in your request for help. You can't include too much information as every little bit helps!

As a note, there are two main reasons a recipe fails - not enough or the wrong emulsifier and not heating and holding. Ask yourself if either of these could be the issue! 

Just wanted to clear a few things up on this awesome May Games Night afternoon! It's too warm for spring!!! I hope these don't come across as the writing equivalent of the cranky old lady telling you to get off her lawn...

5 comments:

d.anaya said...

Hi Susan hope your are doing well. I have a question and I hope you are able to help me understand.
I recently purchased a body butter that claims to have 25% Shea Butter and 25% Cocoa Butter but the end product is very creamy and glossy. It's a very attractive butter but when I tried to make it it did not come out the same and it was too thick and hard and I'm sure because of the high qty. of Cocoa Butter. My question is, how does one make their butter look creamy and glossy almost like it's wet... I dont know how better to describe it but it's a very nice light (as in weight) body butter so I kind of doubt it has those amounts of butters... What are your thoughts on this if any. Thank you for your time.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Can you send me the full ingredient list as I have a feeling it's a lotion, not an anhydrous product.

Febe said...

I have a question about copy write of recipes. My neighbor is using my skincare recipes and "selling to friends and family." I spent two years working on my formulations and testing. I asked her to test and she asked for the recipes to make for herself. Lesson learned - I should not have shared. But, I thought she was my friend. Anyway. She changed some amounts but not the ingredients. Are there any guideline that govern this kind of activity? How does all that work if someone copies your recipe and sells the produce?
Thanks for your input!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Febe. I'm so sorry you've suffered this betrayal. I've tried to answer your question in today's Weekend Wonderings, but my short answer is that I don't think there is anything you can do. But I've asked my lovely readers to weigh in on your dilemma, and I hope there's something helpful there.

Danuta Kilar said...

Somehow it is not right question. :) Susan is the one who shares her recipes, Everyone knows that people sell the products based on Susan's. Next time send your "friend" to this blog, so she can work on her recipes, I do not think any of recipes is original........most of them based on something we learned on net or even from reading the list of ingredients on commercial cosmetics.