Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Newbie Tuesday: Questions, comments, and recipes about lotion bars.

Sorry, nothing today. No one played along, so there's nothing to report. I had planned to modify the recipes you shared into scrub bars for next week, but we don't have any recipes to modify. Feel free to do a search for scrub bars - there are tons of recipes on the blog.

I'm cancelling the rest of the series. See you in early July for a new Newbie Tuesday series!


Miri Pardo said...

Dear Susan,

Please don't cancel! I read you every morning!



Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Miri! Just cancelling this series of posts, not the blog! I'd go insane if I didn't have a place to write!

Mommysoaper said...

Sorry you haven't had the feedback you wanted. I have enjoyed the series so far. I haven't had any questions so I haven't asked any. You are great at explaining things so that they are easily understandable and if a do have a question, I look through your blog and so far have been able to find the answer to my question. Sorry I didn't list my recipe for lotion bars. I have been busy prepping for family visits but I'll list it now if you'd like to see it. I purposely made a bar that was quite firm as it's quite hot and humid where I live so I was concerned about the bar melting. So far so good and we've just had a run of 90 degree weather and no AC.

My recipe:

28% beeswax
23% shea butter
8% cocoa butter
15% sunflower oil
10% sweet almond oil
13% avocado oil
2% vitamin E
1% FO

I like it, but will definitely play around so more. I look forward to reading more of your posts! Thanks for all of your hard work!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

How are you liking your firmer bar? Have you tweaked it yet? I'm dying to hear what you thought!

Marjo said...

What! Such a sad post! No-one marched around in your inbox with their freshly made lotion bars? If I'd have found this blog earlier you'd have my emails throwing a proud parade. Meh!
I just found your blog, I happen to have beeswax and some bits and pieces laying in my cupboards and I shall be doing some crazy experimenting the coming few weeks. I seriously like how you know all the difficult chemical stuff and translate it for all the chemicalnoobs out there. You are a seriously awesome blogger!!

Marjo said...

I made a small lotion bar batch. Just the plain recipe, beeswax, sheabutter and avocado oil with a drop of jasmine smelling stuffs. Poured it in a cute flower icecube tray.
But I let them cool on the countertop in the kitchen while happily marching around (ok no I was drinking tea)(but feeling very smug) and ...one of my cats ate my lotion bars. The other one keeps licking my hands because he apparently likes shea and olive oil whipbutter.
This is all a bit anticlimaxal.

My cats smell great though.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Marjo! I'm glad you're having fun with the lotion bars. My dog ate one of the first ones I made with shea butter and she was a little on the sick side from ingesting that much fat! Poor little thing!