Saturday, April 13, 2013

Comment round up - April 6 to April 13, 2013 (part 1)

Since we're all still jonesing for the Dish forum, and since you can't see all the comments that are made in a nice chronologically ordered page like I can, I thought I'd share some of the comments I've seen this week or direct you to posts with interesting and lively conversations! Join in and share your thoughts! 

If you are new to the blog, please visit this post before writing to me to ask a question. I love to hear from you, but an easy search on the blog would answer at least 50% of the e-mail I've received this week. I love to hear from you, but it's hard to find time to write posts at the moment, let alone answer e-mail, and I really don't want to leave you hanging for weeks! And follow where your curiosity leads you!

In this post on the spamming product OroGold, Paul writes, Susan, while I ADORE your blog and I hate spammers. Think about this...What if after your first post about spammers, somebody decided to play a prank on a competitor and spam on their behalf, so that you'd give away their recipe? Or what if somebody wanted you to pick apart a product, which of course you usually don't, and figured ah, I'll just spam the product on her blog and she'll do it for me. I don't think this is best use of your time personally. Just ignore the spammers, we do. 

(Context: I have started reviewing and picking apart the products spammers try to advertise on my site...) I wish I were either that good at analyzing products or people were that smart, but neither is true! And it's so much fun to write those posts! Believe me, I get a lot of spam - I ignore 99.9% of it, but a company that charges $140 for less than 4 tablespoons of lotion deserves a good mocking!

If you're a newbie, head on over to these posts to share your thoughts or hear those of others!
Newbie Tuesday: Let's create a body oil! 
Newbie Tuesday: We're pushing the schedule back a week!
Newbie Tuesday: Learning about oils & butters - an introduction
Newbie Tuesday: Testing the skin feel of our oils

Join us on Tuesday as we round up some of your comments and thoughts on oils and making body oils (and award e-books to those who participated in the conversation) before making a whipped butter!

Check out this conversation in last week's Weekend Wonderings about an oil soluble, broad spectrum preservative from the makers of Leucidal called Phytocide Elderberry OS (INCI: Sambucus nigra Fruit Extract) that can be used at 1% to 5% in our anhydrous products. It is considered by some to be natural, but I don't see that it is Ecocert. I'd love to hear your experiences with this preservative!

Click here for the link to Lotioncrafter, here for a link to the Formulator Sample Shop. These are the only retailers I could find in a Google search. Click here for a link to the data sheet.

In the recent post A quick note and some thoughts on contamination and rancidity, Jen shares a story about a friend's almost purchase of an ancient lotion and Paul notes he tried being preservative free! Share your thoughts!

And the discussion of what it means to be natural continues in this post on St Ives Lotion.

LiseLise has challenged us to FIND THE PRESERVATIVE in this product! Check it out!

And finally, after reading a few comments in this post on build-up in our hair, I'm curious...What do you think apple cider (or any vinegar) does for your hair? It's acidic, but loads of things are acidic and we don't use them on our hair, like citric acid, boric acid, soda, and so on, so why is vinegar so widely regarded? And why one vinegar over another? My thought is that apple cider vinegar just sounds nicer than plain old white vinegar and less fish n' chippy than malt vinegar, because there doesn't seem to be anything it offers that we can't find in other vinegars.

I'm not asking for your personal opinion or experiences - I value those, but that's not what I'm curious about today. I'm asking for valid scientific resources about what vinegar does for our hair. I see references to it being good for our hair on hundreds of blogs, how to sites, tutorials, etc., but I cannot find a single study or scientific reference for the efficacy of vinegar in our hair! Please send me what you have! If you can send me some along, I'd be really grateful. 

9 comments:

melian1 said...

re the preservative in the product: i don't think the list of ingredients is complete, but i don't think it is in the proper order, either. the Chlorella pyrenoidosa may be what is considered the preservative, at least in some minds. chlorophyll has a chelating action, and when it is taken internally it seems to fight against various diseases. i didn't see any reference to its effect topically, tho.

honestly, i don't see anything else that could remotely be considered a preservative. i look forward to you telling us what it is!

Mychelle said...

The product LisaLise links to appears to be a mostly anhydrous formulation. It does contain glycerin (though not much) and lists thickeners but, unless I'm losing it, lists no water. Though it does list xanthan gum, typically not seen in an anhydrous product. I think they're treating it like an oil product and not using a preservative. Argan stem cells? Seriously? I won't rant but I'd like to.

Beth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth said...

Ok ... after a quick searc about the "stem cells":
These cell cultures are contaminant-free, and are at the highest concentration available without preservatives. Rather than wiping out entire fields of plants as traditional cultivation and harvesting does, HTN only requires a single plant to obtain these cultures. This is a much more cost-effective and eco-friendly method which allows access to the therapeutic and beneficial properties of even the rarest and most remote species. For a full description of this technology, please refer to the article Plant Cell Culture Technology: A New Ingredient Source by Roberto Dal Toso and Francesca Melandri of the Istituto di Ricerche Biotechnologiche (IRB).

Heather Wall said...

About the vinegar... I don't have anything particularly scientific about it it. However for my brief stint in beauty school vinegar was suggested for use after coloring your hair. The reasoning was that since hair dye typically opens up the hair cuticle to allow the color to deposit that the acidity in the vinegar helps slap that cuticle back down to keep it smooth and prevent color from coming out too much. I also wonder if it has something to do with restoring ph balance to your hair, much like a toner would to your skin? Since most people fry the bejesus out of their hair with color and products, using something like vinegar that smooths the cuticle would seem like a miracle.

LOCO PERRO Homemade Dog Food said...

I started using ACV for excema on my scalp a few years ago. For that it is an instant cure! In using the ACV I have found that my hair is shinier than it has ever been. I spent almost all of my life near the ocean but now that I live in the high desert I find that dryness of both skin and hair is an issue...due to the terrible water here and the arid climate and strong sun. I moisturize my skin and condition my hair religiously, always have, but my hair and I have never been happier than now that I use ACV. Can't remember the last time I had a bout of excema on my scalp.

I use about an ounce of ACV in 8 ounces of water. I have used it much stronger for my scalp with no visible ill effects on my hair.

Clear scalp and shiny, healthy hair...ACV works for me!

Mychelle said...

I forgot the vinegar question. My Mom used to pour white vinegar on my hair as a child and I still do it occasionally, just because I always have. It does make my hair very soft and shiny. I have no science though, only anecdote. I also use it in the laundry and it makes the clothes very soft as well, and leaves the windows shiny. I know it's acidic, though a lot of things are. I'm typically not one for wives tales but vinegar is an effective substance.

Anonymous said...

The preservative is glucose, glucose oxidase and lactoperoxidase - it is a two part enzyme preservative system which utilises hurdle technology :-) I think it should be kept in the fridge before use.
Rebecca

Courtney said...

My one small contribution, after learning so much from your posts:

My understanding is that apple cider vinegar is recommended because you can buy organic ACV with "mother" still in it that supposedly confers added benefits. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_of_vinegar

I don't know about the science, unfortunately...but I do know that it works on my seborrheic dermatitis, something to do with pH balance or oil or yeast. Science hasn't really figured that one out either.