Saturday, March 30, 2013

What do you think of this visual tutorial?

I found this thing called SnapGuide tonight, so I created a guide to making an emulsified sugar scrub.

I'll be posting more on my channel - which is under my name, Susan Barclay Nichols, not Swiftcraftymonkey - when I have time!

I only have the one guide so far, but I would love to hear your feedback and making other ones. What should I be including or leaving out? Would you like to see video? Is this even useful? (This one was built from pictures I had on hand. I will be taking pictures as I go for other guides.)

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!


melian1 said...

i much prefer your usual blog. the pics were slow to load (old computer here, lol), and you can't get as much info into the little sentences at the bottom of the pic as you do here.

i'm sorry you are having such pain and trouble. my heart goes out to you.

Lisa said...

I love your blog.Would never ever ever stop reading your blog.But that snap guide is pretty snazzy isn't it?
Probably would only work for simpler formula's but it gives an idea of process,which is good for visual learners.Thumbs up from me.Is yet another time consuming thing tho.Are you sure you're not secretly a timelord & keep looping back around in a tardis or something to do all the stuff you do??

DandiCreations said...

I am a new reader of your blog and I am hooked. You are so informative and I really value your guidance. I love the new visual for it helps to see the pictures along with the directions in writing. Even though I learn by reading, some don't. As stated, they need the visual to go along with it. Whatever is easier for you so that you can continue to share your knowledge.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thanks for the feedback. I am seeing this as an adjunct to the blog, to offer something to people who want a visual tutorial. I have always hoped to make videos, but it's just too time consuming to film and edit them the way I want.

I secretly wish I was Donna Noble most days! Being a timelord would be too much responsibility, but being the companion would be great!

denise said...

I am a visual learner and really appreciated the tutorial. I think it is a really nice addition to your blog. I have already pinned it!

Lise M Andersen said...

I vote for both! I love the visuals and I love the words. We need both sides to get the full impact, so keep doing both please! (Demanding much?!)


p said...

I'm in the "love both" camp too. Photos help to make a recipe much more approachable, so I think the snap guides would go great with your Newbie Tuesday posts!

Monique said...

OMGosh, thank you. I love you for this

Aljonor said...

Hey Susan:

I really like the snapguide because we can see the actual finish product. I hope it isn't too much for you.


Stephany&Stacia said...

Hi Susan, thanks so much for the great post, I personally really liked the snap guide, but it is certainly not necessary.
Question, what is the shelf life of your scrub?

Jeannine Jonas said...

I've made an emulsified sugar scrub but never considered whipping it. Genius!

Pier said...

Thanks a lot for your visual tutorial. It was very helpful for me. I never though that we could use white sugar as I never use a scrub bar and really don't know too much about it. Do you use it after each shower ?
Can I replace cocoa butter by shea or aloe or mango butter and also replace Phenonip by Germal Plus ? I have already so many products and don't use them so often.
Thanks again for your precious help.


Pier said...

me again... I found you blog about Germall + dying that it couldn't be use on oils products. I almost read all your blogs ! I should say that my English is improving quite well.
Back to preservatives, I could not find Phenonip neither at NDA, Voyageur or Personal Formulator than I will leave it out for that scrub taking in the shower only a small amount each time.
For the butter I think I will use mango butter unless you told me it could not replace cocoa butter. I still have quite amounts of shea, mango, and aloe butters on my stock and don't want to lose them.
Thanks again for your wonderful receipes and posts. Every day I discover something.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Pier. It looks like Aquarius Aroma & Soap isn't carrying Phenonip any more. That's too bad!

You can use Optiphen, which you can find at Aquarius Aroma & Soap or you could use LiquiPar Optima, which you could find at Voyageur Soap & Candle in Surrey, B.C..

And you can use any butter you want. If you use mango butter, it will feel drier and be a little softer than if you used cocoa butter. Shea butter is nice too, but softer and greasier than cocoa butter. Aloe butter isn't a good idea as it is quite soft. Let me know what you do and how it turns out!

Pier said...

Thanks Susan.
After reading your post I hesitate between Optiphen Plus INCI: Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol (and) Sorbic Acid and Liquapar Optima (Inci)Phenoxyethanol (and) Methylparaben (and) Isopropylparaben (and) Isobutylparaben (and) Butylparaben.
Optiphen Plus is paraben free but not Liquapar Optima which means that I could not use Poly 20 or Poly 80 to solubilize HE when using Liquapar, otherwise it will deactivate the preservative. Hope I am right and retain your precious lessons.
Both are sold at Voyageur. I will order Liquapar and keeping it only for anhydrous products which might be in contact in water.
For the butter I will use mango as I have it. As soon as I will received my Liquapar I will make this scrub bar (for the first time) and let you know about it.

Pier said...

I finally succeed to make this scrub bar. Thanks Susan for your precious advices.
I made it with cocoa butter and jojoba oil and HE of Vanilla 10% and Liquapar.
All the others ingredients are same as the one of visual tutorial.
Very tasty ! you could almost eat it ! I had to write "not for eating".