Friday, March 29, 2013

Review: Tea Tree Oil Creamy Facial Cleanser & Make-up Remover

Richard Wright, spammer, posted a link to this product, Tea Tree Oil Creamy Facial Cleanser & Make-up Remover, so I thought I'd give him a little of the promotion he wanted. Let's take a look at this product.

For a mere $24.95 you get: Organic Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Oil, Organic Ricinus Communis (Castor) Oil, Distilled Water, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Organic Soy Lecithin, Organic Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil, Organic Melaleuca quinquenervia viridiflora (Niaouli) Essential Oil. (There is no listing for the size of this product.)

What you're buying are a few inexpensive oils - sunflower and castor oils - combined with water and glycerin. I think they're using lecithin as the emulsifier, and they've left out the preservatives, which we know is a bad thing!

You could easily make this product yourself by combining sunflower (or another light oil with lots of linoleic acid) and castor oil - let's say 45 grams of each - with 5 grams of lecithin and 5 grams of glycerin. You can add the tea tree oil at 1% to 2%. I would also add 1% Phenonip because we have added water to the product. How much would this cost? Hmm, maybe $1? Maybe $2 if we include the cost of the bottle.

POSSIBLE DUPLICATION FOR THIS CREAMY CLEANSER
43% sunflower or other high linoleic acid oil
44% castor oil
5% lecithin
5% glycerin
1% tea tree oil
1% oil soluble preservative

In a heatproof container, weigh the lecithin and glycerin together and mix well. Weigh the oils and preservative into the container and heat until about 45˚C in a double boiler. (Do not use a microwave for this as you cannot control the temperature properly.) Remove from the double boiler and add the tea tree oil. Let cool and bottle. Rejoice!

Have you used these products? What was your take on them? And they claim to be good for acne prone or oily skin. What was your reaction? (I can tell you that my acne prone skin would have a horrible reaction to adding this much oil to my face!)

Spammers: Do you want me to pick apart your product and help my readers make their own versions for a fraction of the cost? If so, continue to post your spam in the comments section of my posts!

Related posts:
Essential oils: Tea tree oil (part 1)
Essential oils: Tea tree oil (part 2)
Tea tree oil - adding it to cleansers and toners

4 comments:

Shreela said...

"Spammers: Do you want me to pick apart your product and help my readers make their own versions for a fraction of the cost? If so, continue to post your spam in the comments section of my posts!"

Just noticed that - made my day!

Mychelle said...

Great review Susan! I get infuriated by over-priced products with cheap or crappy ingredients.

Michelle said...

I don't see water in your formula...??

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Michelle. I purposefully left it out because there isn't an emulsifier in the product and we'd just have it separate anyway.