Saturday, March 9, 2013

Chemicals are your friends!

I've been saying this for years, but chemicals are not bad things. A chemical is anything composed of elements. Water, air, your dog, my hair...everything is a chemical. De-baddening the word "chemical" was the the goal of the International Year of Chemistry in 2011, and it's become the goal of a new campaign called Chemicals Are Your Friends! (Check out her new blog to learn more!) Of course, those of us who have been around Point of Interest for a while know that chemicals are our friends, but I encourage you to share this with people who don't seem to feel the same way!

When you see someone call something "chemical free" or state their products haven't been made "with chemicals", send them this way! We'll be nice, I promise! 


sara said...

I'm always amazed when companies claim that their products are chemical-free...or worse, that chemicals are harmful! We'd be dead without chemicals. Dead. Every living thing depends on chemicals of some sort. I own a small natural cosmetics company and appreciate being selective about ingredients used and following the precautionary principle. However, jumping to conclusions about an ingredient because it 'looks scary' seems to be the general practice in my industry.

One of the best examples I've seen breaks down the chemical composition of an apple. The list is long...and scary looking. And yet we know that apples are good for us!

Just something to ponder...

Dorea said...

Thank you so much for your post, Susan! I appreciate spreading the word!

By the way, your blog content is really impressive. I've always wanted to make more of my own body care products, and your blog is a fantastic resource both for that and simply learning about the interesting chemicals and chemistry!

Heather Wall said...

I've been telling people this for years (I work for a major health food store) and no one believes me! But then again they think anything they can't pronounce or sounds scientific is going to kill them. Like tocopherols...I digress... Anyways your blog is fantastic... Keep on keeping on