Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Workshop! Workshop! Workshop!

I'm on holiday time this week, which means workshop fun! I'm out of just about everything to the point where I considered buying body wash! (Gasps of shock and horror!) Luckily, I have a few days this week to play, so I've retreated to the workshop with a pot of tea - the first of many, this one Russian Earl Grey - and some good music. The puppy will join me soon to sleep curled in a ball in the corner of the room on her favourite chair.

The first project is a giant batch of rinse off conditioner using Ritamulse BTMS-225. 3 litres, about 3/4 gallon to our Imperial using friends, as I need to stock up and give some away to some of the more majestically maned members of our youth groups!

3.5% Ritamulse BTMS-225
2% cetrimonium chloride
1% hydrolyzed protein
2% Incroquat CR
0.5% polyquat 44
87.5% water

2% panthenol
2% cyclomethicone
2% dimethicone
0.5% liquid Germall plus
1% fragrance oil (white chocolate!)

How does this one differ from other versions? I've reduced the Ritamulse to 3.5% as it seemed to be making my hair a little greasier.

More soon!


Ruth said...

Hi Susan..
Is the listed recipe today..Good for natural curly, and a bit on the dry side hair?
I still have not ever made conditioner..
I have used Joico, Intensive conditioner for years..
And I would like to have something else to change to once in a while..

Thanks, for all your wonderful Blogs..


catherine said...

Fearful newbies, may I suggest making a super-easy recipe first. Lots on this blog. Something like 70% water, 25% oil/butter, 4% emulsifier, 1% preservative.

If you're concerned about wasting ingredients, learn from my mistakes: practice weighing using just tap water, table oil, salt, flour, etc. It's trickier than it seems using a scale for the first (or second, third) time.

Using the oven rather than double boiler for heat&hold has proven way easier for me...

This blog's conditioner bars are WAY easy to make, incredibly economical, and so much better than store-bought.

Also, lots of shampoo/body wash recipes that *dont* required heat&hold...of course, very easy.

Lots of easy, no heat& hold, beginner recipes on this blog, even if they're not labeled 'newbie' etc...

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan- I totally love your blog! I just found it while looking for info on Allantoin after discovering it wasn't soluble in either oil or water. : ( I make creams that are entirely fat based (shea butter, coconut oil and olive oil), infused with herbs and with essential oils added. I like the fact that they are 100% organic and that I can grow some of the herbs. Here is my question and I'm sorry if it is off-topic to the conditioner post!- How can I put say 10-20% glycerine infused with allantoin into my fat based product? I guess I will need an emulsifier? The shea butter is loaded with Vitamin E so it might have enough preservative already. The coconut and olive oil seems to preserve a very long time as well.
Thanks so much

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Bob! Take a look at my answer to your comment in this post after Saturday, February 9th. The short answer - allantoin is water soluble and you can't get it into an anhydrous product.

Hi Ruth. It could be, but I'd want something a little more moisturizing for your hair. Check out the hair care recipes section of the blog and find something written specifically for dry hair!

Catherine! I love seeing your name in the comments as I know you'll always write something awesome from which others can learn! Great suggestions!