Monday, February 11, 2013

Conditioners: Adding slip and glide to a conditioner - introduction

Here's how many bottles I made out of that huge batch of 3.5% Ritamulse BTMS-225 conditioner I made earlier this week! The tall bottle at the back is 1 litre (32 ounces), three - 500 ml (16 ounce) bottles, one - 180 ml (6 ounce bottle), and three - 4 ounce (120 ml) bottles. I scented a lot of it in white chocolate fragrance oil (Voyageur Soap & Candle), but a few got a dose of Sweet Meyer Lemon fragrance oil (Brambleberry), and some will be scented just before using them. I'm giving a bunch of these away, but I still think I'm good for a while...

The most popular question this week is about adding slip and glide to our conditioners. I had originally intended to link to the posts I wrote in 2009 about adding slip and glide to conditioners in various ways, but I realized that there is so much more to add to this topic, so we'll take a few days to take a look at various ingredients we use in conditioners and what each brings to the mix, including their ability to contribute slip and glide. 

As an aside, I find my conditioners to be quite slippery to the point of having to clean up the tiled floor at the swimming pool after using it so others won't fall down after I've finished with the leave in! I think the silicones, cyclomethicone and dimethicone, play a big part in that. (Click here for a post on using silicones in your rinse off conditioners.) 

Join me tomorrow for more fun with conditioners! 


Anonymous said...

Dear Susan,
Is BTMS 50, BTMS 25 and BTMS 255 gentle enought to use as i everyday leave in, as i have frizzy dry hair i need to apply a lot of leave in every other day to keep it down. Another question is what causes the tips of certain hair to be lighter than the rest of the hair ( brown hair).

Yvonne said...

Hello Susan,

You comment on how you left some unscented, that you will scent later...I did not realize you could do this...could you explain how you scent it later and can this also be done with lotion?


Anonymous said...

I found the answer after seaching for leave in conditioner, which is yes.

The Little Sister said...

Hi Susan, I am new here. I'd heard of this "craft monkey" person from various boards, but about midnight last night I followed a white rabbit here and fell through the rabbit hole. By 5am, after much reading of and learning from your blog, I had formulated what I felt, on paper at least, was going to be the perfect conditioner. Per your advice I also read the ingredients of my favorite $20 a bottle conditioner and incorporated what I had on hand of those ingredients.

You see, (ok, you can't see me, but imagine me, I have very dry, curly hair. I cannot wash my hair without using some type of conditioner. My hair is like dead crunchy grass without it and I would never be able to get any of the tangles out. Most store bought conditioners are useless with my hair, and even some expensive curl specific brands do nothing for me. Additionally, if I don't use the right gel to weigh it down somewhat, I get massive tangles in mere hours. I spend more money on my hair products in a year than I do on clothes.

So now that you know what I deal with you can see how important the perfect conditioner is. After three hours of sleep I headed to my studio to make what I had formulated in the wee hours. I was a bit intimidated, but have done many batches of lotions and since you said the process is similar I was ready to dive in. I made two small batches.

I could hardly wait to get home and went straight to the shower. Okay, that's a lie. First, I had to tell my husband and son, and my son's best friend all about my new conditioner.

I was so nervous that I was practically shaking. I've been out of my regular $20 a jar hair gel and found some old off the shelf crap in my bathroom closet that I have been using the past week and it does NOTHING, so my hair has been extra tangly. Spell check says tangly is not a word, but spell check has never met my hair!

So here are my thoughts on my first batch of conditioner. It was rather thin, BUT I didn't wait very long after it cooled to use it, so I don't know if it will thicken up or if I will have to tweak the recipe later. If I remember correctly from my middle of the night readings, a bit more BTMS-50 should thicken it up, right?

I slathered it in liberally and let it set for a minute or two and then started combing through my hair. I was giddy with excitement when my comb went easily through. After rinsing it was so very soft. After styling (still out of my usual gel) it isn't perfect holy grail hair, but it's so much better than it has been since I have been out of my regular conditioner. I do believe if I had my gel along with this new recipe my hair would be much much better, but for now I am over the moon! I ran out of my room (after quickly dressing, since my son's best friend was still here) and told everyone in my house about my almost perfect conditioner! My son is still making fun of me. He has curly hair too, but not the dryness I have. So he totally doesn't understand the need for amazing conditioner and gel. :)

Anyway, all of this long blithery blath to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for what you do here. I am so excited to have learned all about making my own conditioner, and I know with a bit more tweaking (and ordering of a few extracts that I didn't have on hand) I will have found my holy grail and the best part is it's going to cost only a 10th of what I've been paying! Wooo!!!

And to anyone else who wants to make conditioner, read all of Susan's hair posts and KNOW your ingredients, then don't be afraid to jump in and try, then tweak if need be. You shall be pleasantly surprised!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Rosi! I know you found the answer to your question, but I thought it would be fun to answering in the weekend wondering for today - click here to see it! As usual, great questions. You really contribute so much to this blog!

Hi Yvonne! You're a weekend wonderer as well. Click on the link above to see the answer to the question. The quick answer? You can do this easily, and yes, you can do it with lotion!

Hi The Little Sister! Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to me to know I've helped someone make something awesome. I'm blushing now. I hope you're still enjoying the product!