Thursday, January 3, 2013

Three things you didn't know...

As I've mentioned in the recent past, I'm obsessed with a Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones), and I thought I'd share something I thought interesting...

In one of the later books, one of the characters is asked when he/she returns from the outside world, "What three things do you know now that you didn't know when you left?" (I won't offer any spoilers here...) And this is how I pretty much live my life. What can I learn today?

Curiosity might have killed the cat, but it certainly hasn't hurt me any! When I meet my clients at work, I become curious about them, and I find I learn so much about the people I might counsel. When I meet new kids at our groups, I want to get to know who they are and what they want to make or play or do in the group. When I meet a new book, I'm open to what I might learn or what I might love. Cultivate that curiosity and follow it wherever it might want to go! (Follow your snoot to flavours of fruit! Toucan Sam is a wiser philosopher than we ever thought...)

We all come to a subject a blank slate, and we can choose to remain blank or to learn! There's no shame in not knowing something - we're all beginners at some point! No one is born with expertise - Brian Cox wasn't born a physicist, Bruce Dickinson wasn't born a pilot, that river dancing guy wasn't born river dancing - but time and patience and following our curiosity can help us attain mastery.

If we stay curious, we can learn so much. Ask questions, read books, talk to people who might know things. Don't be proud of your ignorance and make fun of me when I talk about science. (You'd be surprised at how many people are proud of their lack of knowledge!) Open your mind to the possibility that math, chemistry, biology, history, literature, and all those other things that look like school things might actually be interesting!

Learn a little every day and before you know it, you'll be good at it! I didn't get good at using computers by sitting down and learning in a day. I learned a little thing last week, and another one the day after, and so on until I knew something!

Try to cultivate your curiosity this year. Be open to new things. Try to learn three new things this week. They don't have to be huge things. Learn how to return to the previous channel on that new remote. Sync your iPod with iTunes. Sew a button on your pants. Click on that link about the Netherlands. Look up the correct usage of "whom". From these small things, large things may come! (Think back on how you started making your own bath & body products...I'm sure it was a small thought that became huge!)

5 comments:

Madeaj said...

Excellent post!

Anonymous said...

here goes, is alcohol good or bad for our skin? I make herbal ticture, extract with vodka can i use that on my face like rosemary ticture or can it be added to a lotion? I've been using it for about 2 weeks and i found that it helps acne heals fast and less inflamation, i just don't know if the alcohol isn't too strong for the skin.
Rosi

Anonymous said...

Hi swift,

Nicely put.

If I may be so bold and while I am new at reading your blog, I noticed a bit of ...how can I say "defensive mode" tone in your latest post. These are all wise words and I am just worried you are paying too much attention to the "vampires" aka " negative souls" or simply put the naysayers.

No offense intended, I may take away from the good spirit of the blog. Sadly, you can;t always please everyone.

keep doing what you are good at.
If people were busy improving themselves they would have no time for criticisms.

Keep up the good work
Fan Club

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I'm not sure where the idea has arisen that I am defensive...I thought I had written a positive post encouraging curiosity. I do get frustrated by people who seem to enjoy being not curious, but I honestly don't care any more. I am a proud geek - not a nerd, there is a difference! - and if I can encourage one person this year to be more curious, then I'll be happy.

If you aren't sure why being called defensive word bothers me, keep reading...you'll see why soon enough...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for encouraging people to be curious!!
Rosi