Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

I hope you are enjoying 2013 so far, which, I have to admit, is a weird sounding year. I guess it's the 13...but I digress. I'm a big fan of goals, but not a big fan of resolutions for myself any more. A recent study showed that we do best in changing our behaviour - quitting smoking, starting to work out, dieting, and so on - when we don't start on a Monday, and considering that Raymond argues January is the Monday of the year, I think setting ourselves to wake up January 1st and becoming a whole new person can only lead to stress. And we're trying to avoid stress!

I create new goals every semester - January to April, May to August, and September to December - and I plan how I might achieve those goals. I also think about how I might maintain the goals I achieved in the previous semesters. And I break my goals down into daily or manageable bits, like "I will attend class today" or "Today I'll write a short blog post" rather than coming up with something huge I can't do and feeling bad about it.

My goals this semester? I'm taking physics in university, and I really want to get our computer room organized so we can see what we need. I will continue to work out regularly (I'm adding gentle yoga to the mix, which means I'll be doing aquafit twice a week, and my weights/elliptical routine the other three days) and I will continue to work on getting my blood sugar down. I will continue to set and maintain my boundaries so I have a good work/life balance. And I will have fun - but then again, I always do!

My main goal is not to beat myself up when I can't get done what I wanted to get done! I have to accept I'm human and things will crop up to keep me away from those things I've decided are priorities.

What are your goals for the next four months? Or your resolutions? Don't forget, sharing a goal tends to make us more successful...

As we start the new year, I'm hoping to post some of my favourite recipes or informational posts from 2012 to get us started. What did you learn last year and what do you want to learn this year? Share your thoughts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, last year in january i started to search for lotion making ingredients and i found your blog, herbarie and personal formulator.Hair is a big deal for women selfsteem and confidence, every women wants to have a beautiful hair. I've been making hair lotion for a year now and i am with each batch learning a little more and trying new ingredients. My plans for this year is to attend Cosmethology school next fall for one year, perfect my lotion and when i finish it, transform women's hair and boost ther selfsteem like it happened to me. Thanks susan a 101 times.
Happy new year,