Monday, January 7, 2013

Formulating on a budget: Equipment

I've already written quite a bit about this topic, so I'm just going to throw out a few ideas before I suggest you click on the links below for more information! 

If you are going to spend money on one thing, I suggest it should be your scale. Spend your money on a good digital scale, one that measures to at least 1 gram. If you can, get a second digital scale, one that measures to 0.1 gram, which is great for measuring extracts and the things that are normally quite expensive, like cosmeceuticals. I bought mine from the jewellery making shop for $13! You can also use an epoxy weighing scale. In this post, Catherine suggested we get a scale that can weigh down to 0.01 grams so we can make 10 gram batches of lotion! I've never tried it, but you'd really save money on those expensive ingredients if you did that!

You should have all the other equipment lying around your house - spoons, forks, Pyrex jugs or Mason jars, mixer, and funnels!

Related posts:
Creating products: Equipment (part 1)
Creating products: Equipment (part 2)
Creating products: Equipment for measuring pH


Polka Dot Rabbit said...

I would also advise: metal bowls (for melting ingredients in over boiling water) and lots of spoons! I have separate materials to my normal household stuff of course. I was wondering if you have any specific tricks for cleaning oily equipment? I teach basic bath products (melts, scrubs etc) and am often scrubbing bowls at the venue and then at home to try get them clean from the oils...

catherine said...

Hi again. I just want to clarify, when I make 10 gram batches, I don't heat and hold. I *can't* heat and hold 10 grams. :) I use a cold emulsifier like gelmaker emu from I do this mainly with certain actives to see how I'll like it, how my skin will handle it, etc.

Enjoying your budget series!...