Saturday, December 15, 2012

Christmas crafting idea: Exfoliating fun with sugar and salt scrubs!

If you are looking to make an awesome gift for someone who likes a little exfoliation, try an emulsified sugar scrub! If it's winter where you live, they'll welcome a fluffy and creamy concoction that offers moisturizing and barrier protecting properties! We made some this weekend in Brambleberry's cream cheese frosting fragrance, and it is taking all my energy not to eat it - it looks that lovely!

Even a newbie to bath & body products can make an awesome sugar scrub! Just make sure that you melt all the ingredients to liquid, then put in the freezer so it gets a crust on the top. Remove, and whip it (whip it good!) before adding the sugar. If you look at the picture above, you'll see that it looks like whipped butter (the eating kind) before I add the sugar. If you're a food person, think of it almost as creaming the butter before adding the sugar. This way the butter has little air pockets in which the sugar can hide!

I like to use citrus based fragrances - I'm having a love affair with Brambleberry's Sweet Meyer Lemon fragrance oil from Brambleberry, but my husband loves the Yuzu! - and things that smell like they should be creamy like cream cheese frosting, Clementine cupcake, and white chocolate (from Voyageur - best chocolate I've ever smelled!).

Please note, I am not affiliated with any of the companies I mention, and I do not get anything for mentioning I love their products. Voyageur very kindly gives me a 20% discount on everything I buy and they make many many donations to my programs! 

Related posts:
Formulating with soy bean oil - includes recipe for sugar scrub!
Formulating for other skin types - sugar scrubs!
Emulsified scrub with Ritamulse SCG
Black cocoa emulsified scrub
Question: How do you know what and when to substitute? (All about emulsifiers and scrubs)
Experiments in the workshop - golden shea sugar scrub
Using behenyl alcohol in sugar scrubs
Experiments in the workshop - using behenyl alcohol in the Ritamulse SCG sugar scrub

If the idea of an emulsified scrub scares you, why not try an oil based scrub? Here are a few recipes for those...

Back to Basics: Oil based scrubs
Back to Basics: Modifying the oil based scrub
Chemisty of our nails: Oil based scrub

9 comments:

melian1 said...

sugar scrubs are fantastic gifts, especially if you have a senior citizen on your list. older folks get itchy, which dry skin causes. (my dad & mom both had this problem). type up an instruction sheet to go with (i demonstrated it in person) and they will love it. i mixed a lavender orchard fo with some bayberry fo and the result was a lovely fresh scent that wasn't quite floral (made my dad happy) and wasn't really masculine, either (made my mom happy).

sugar scrubs are fabulous.

Anonymous said...

HOW ABOUT A SCRUB FOR THE FACE?
Rosi

Patricia said...

I agree about the scrubs being great for dry skin, but worry about making my Mom's shower slick! Perhaps the emulsified scrub rinses better off the floor?

In the meantime, Swift: I'm almost a complete noob, but my Mom's getting beautiful bath salts for Christmas. And my daughter's getting bubble bath. And possibly the easy detangler. And in the future I have dark plans for shampoo.

I think I can say that I have become . . . a SWIFTCRAFTYJUNKIE!!

Thanks for writing this fabulously addictive blog.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi melian! Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Rosi! Do you mean modifying this for the face or making a whole new one from scratch? I couldn't use any of these butters even remotely near my face for fear of horrible break outs, but dry skinned people would like them. Let's make one! Look for that in the next few days!

Hi Patricia! The emulsified scrub rinses off beautifully, which is one of the bonuses of using them! Wow! Thanks for the kind words. I'm so happy you found the blog useful!

Moj sapun... said...

Hi Susan, following you recipe and instructions I made emulsified sugar scrub. Such fantastic product to make and use! Thank you so much for sharing your passion and knowledge which really inspired me! Best regards, Gordana

Steph said...

Hi-
I've been making sugar scrubs but keep hearing about emulsified sugar scrubs. Can you tell me the difference? Sounds pretty complicated & a lot more ingredients that I've never heard of!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Steph. From this post on soy bean oil (the first one linked in this post), the definition is: It's like an oil based one, only we put emulsifiers in it so when you rinse it off, it turns into lotion.

Take a look at the posts to which I've linked in this post to learn more about emulsified scrubs.

Amanda Dvorak said...

HELP. Do I add 2% fragrance to the total weight with sugar (240 grams 2%= 4.8grams) or (100grans 2%=2 grams of fragrance). Same with the preservative? Thank u. I LOVE this blog!!!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Amanda. Check out some of the linked recipes because I explain that in those!