Monday, October 1, 2012

Ramblings: Making your own detergents, Game of Thrones, and food for thought

If you really want to make your own laundry or dishwashing detergents, there are a few blogs you should visit.

A quick disclaimer: I really don't recommend making your own products to put in machines like dishwashers or washing machines because these are picky appliances and expensive to replace! A friend of mine used non-high efficiency detergent in her front loading washing machine, and she had to replace the barrel after two years because it got very gunked up! So use these products at your own risk! 

Homemade powdered laundry detergent (Nature's Nurture Blog)
Homemade laundry detergent (Instructables)
Make your own dishwashing detergent (The Simple Dollar)

I love making my own household cleansers with d-LimoneneClick here for my post on making various surface cleansers with this awesome citrus based ingredient!

Have I mentioned I'm obsessed with Game of Thrones? I watched the series earlier this year, and I'm almost half way through book three since I bought my Kobo on August 25th. (I have the four books in one, and I think I'm on page 2159 out of 3500 pages!)

And when I like something, I need to craft about it. So I made myself a Game of Thrones charm bracelet. You can see a raven, a crown, a shooting star, a snowflake, Dany on a horse, a dragon, a fish, and another snow flake in the picture.

Raymond says I see everything as a crafting opportunity. A friend gets pregnant? Let's make stencilled onesies and a diaper bag and stretch mark balm! A child is toilet training? Let's make tiny bath bombs they can throw into the toilet as a reward? Raymond gets type II diabetes? He'll need a cute bag to hold his glucose meter! And so on...

I thought I'd share this video with you as food for thought for an October Monday morning. It's okay to not like things...and if you find something you don't like, it's okay to move on without commenting on it. You don't need to be mean and call someone names or comment they should "get a life" or comment that you hate what they like. Just move on and look at something you do like! I realize this should be obvious, but you would be surprised how often it's not! Just look at the comments on a YouTube video for your favourite band some time. You will weep for the direction humanity is heading! (If you hate Iron Maiden, why are you watching the video?) And you will have this song running through your head all day!


Lise M Andersen said...

I hear you about being nice when you don't like something. I received a very unfriendly email through my website the other day - my first. I don't understand why anyone would even want to use time and energy on writing hateful and negative things to a complete stranger. It is quite disheartening to receive, and I have a hard time believing it made the person who wrote it feel good, so what's the point? Sigh.

I much prefer looking on 'the bright side of life'

Michele Clarke said...

Awesome! I love Game of Thrones. My husband read all the books years ago.

I have tried the laundry soap. That one you linked made me laugh when I first read it last year.

The dishwasher one I didn't use Dove. It isn't the same without phosphates.