Sunday, September 23, 2012

Why did I buy that again? Lipidthix - using 25% to make a butter

As I mentioned the other day, I've been playing with Lipidthix to make a butter out of an oil. In Thursday's post, I combined rice bran oil with 20% Lipidthix to make a rice bran oil butter. I liked it, but it was thinner than I wanted. So I thought I'd play around with a 25% Lipidthix mixture.

25% LIPIDTHIX AND RICE BRAN OIL = RICE BRAN BUTTER
25% Lipidthix
75% rice bran oil

Measure out each ingredient into a heatproof container, like a Pyrex jug, and put into a double boiler. Heat at 60˚C to 70˚C for up to 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and place in the freezer for about 20 minutes (depending upon how much you're making!).

What was the difference between 20% and 25% Lipidthix with rice bran oil? A whole lotta awesome! This what it looked like just out of the freezer. Already I can tell that it's much thicker than the 20% version. I took a little out of the container and rubbed it into my hand: It feels quite nice and glidy with no grains. I would compare it to shea butter in that it is a bit greasy and feels thickened. In short, a very nice butter!

Let's whip it! (Whip it good!) I think it took me maybe a minute to get to this consistency of looking like a whipped butter. Doesn't that look amazing? If you want to make this more awesome, add up to 1% fragrance or essential oil  before or during whipping.

I used white chocolate fragrance oil from Voyageur Soap & Candle in this one, which I know will lead to my husband bemoaning the fact that everything in our house looks and smells good, but tastes like a mouthful of Crisco!

The top sample is made with 25% Lipidthix, while the bottom one is 20% Lipidthix. You can really see the difference, eh?

This isn't to say that every oil will respond well at 25% Lipidthix. Some might be better at 20%, some at 25%, and there might be others that need more or less. Get into your workshop and do some playing with this product!  I'm planning on playing with some drier oils, like macadamia nut oil or hazelnut oil, and a few heavier oils, like olive oil or avocado oil

I do have an avocado butter, but it smells very earthy, which bothers me! I have tried to add fragrance to it, but it's just overwhelming. 

As a final thought, I cannot stress enough how important I think it is to put your container into the freezer to cool. Every time I've left it at room temperature, I get grains. Every time I've put it into the freezer, I get no grains.

This isn't to say that you won't succeed if you leave it out on the counter to cool - I won't negate your experience with this ingredient - but my most successful batches have been those I've put in the freezer!

Related posts:
Back to Basics - an aside on melting butters
Emollients - oils, butters & esters
Why did I buy that again? Lipidthix
Why did I buy that again? Lipidthix - making a butter
Back to Basics: Whipped butters

15 comments:

Constance Reader said...

I followed your technique last night and it only half worked. By that I mean that only about half the mixture that I put into the freezer became a nice butter. The other half remained a liquid. So I mixed them up and left them in the freezer overnight. This morning half is butter again, and half is still liquid.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Constance. Can you please post your recipe and your exact process so I can look into this further? It honestly makes no sense that an oil wouldn't freeze when put into the freezer, so I need all the information to figure it out properly. Include every little detail you can, because this is how I can figure things out!

Bunny said...

Oooh! I somehow missed this post-- thanks for always linking old things in your new posts!

My question is thus: did you ever get around to trying out the dryer, nut oils? I make your kokum-babassu whipped butter with both rice bran and macadamia oil, and I've been trying to think of a way to replace some of the babassu with oil (without crazy upping the kokum butter and/or messing with the consistency)... this might do just the trick! Thank you!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Bunny. I have made a bunch of different butters, but only wrote about the one I made with pumpkin seed oil.Just follow this recipe with the 25% and you'll have a butter! I'm really loving this ingredient!

Linda Williams said...

I made the butter last night. I used 75% Almond Oil and 25% Lipidthix and 1% Lavender Hydrosol. I was out of Lavender Essential Oil. I held it at 130 degrees for 20 minutes and put it in the freezer for about 15-20 min. Not grainy at all, today it is still nice and creamy.

I made the changes due to suppliers that have the Lavender Butters has the same ingredients. I have used it before and I love it expensive and hard to find. I use it all over my body.

Just an FYI for those that try this, while your pots, bowls are still warm wipe out the excess oil & lipidthix from your containers makes for easier, quicker clean up.

Linda Williams said...

Sometimes I don't follow directions very well even at my age.

See my above comment, after removing from freezer I used a hand mixer beat about 2-3 minutes then I added the lavender hydrosol finished blending all together then I scooped with a spoon as mixture is very thick into 2 oz. tin and a 2 oz. container. I did a small batch. Next time I will make larger batch. Like Susan I plan to make avocado, argan, kokum, etc.

Lisa Reidzans Schmock said...

OK just so I'm clear, if I make a 100 gram batch, I'm using 80 grams of oil and 20 grams of Lipidthix? I don't know why its so hard for me to wrap my head around, it just seems like 20 grams of the powder is alot. It's like watching a wide screen movie, my poor husband has spent years trying to explain that you get to see more of the movie in widescreen but I don't get it, and I'm not a stupid person! lol

Thanks,

Lisa

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Lisa. Your recipe would look like this...

80% oil
20% Lipidthix

or

75% oil
25% Lipidthix

Loved said...

Hello,

Susan, thanks always.

Have you experimented with making butters using extracts like Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract? I would like to make Aloe Butter with the extract. Will I still need Lipidthix to add to coconut oil to get Aloe butter?

Thanks

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Loved! No, I haven't. This is because you are trying to use a water soluble ingredient in an oil soluble product, so it isn't going to work. You would have to use an emulsifier to get a water soluble thing to mix into coconut oil, not Lipidthix.

Loved said...

Thanks for replying.

Actually I would be using an oil based extract and not water based.

http://www.theherbarie.com/Aloe-Vera-Oil-Extract.html

So I wondered if the oil extract could make a butter.

Thanks again

Camirra Williamson said...

ok this is very interesting. i was wondering how to make oils into "butters". how do you think this would work with coconut oil? i ask this because coconut oil is already solid at certain temps, so i was wondering if this would conflict with the Liquidthix or help it.

Baby Kat said...

I made this last week using the 20 - 80 ratio. I followed your steps and my body butter turned out perfectly. Thank you so much! I also made a second batch and I added cyclomethicone and helichrysum e.o., I am using it as an eye night cream and I love it!
Next, I will make a scent free version for my MIL, who is allergic to fragrance. Thank you so much for your awesome recipes and tutorials.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Baby Kat! Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm so happy to hear back from my readers!

Hi Camirra! I'm so sorry I missed your comment. Coconut oil is already very solid, but I guess you could try it at 10% to see if it changes the melting point. Please let us know how it goes or if I could help further!

butiklxl said...

Hi Susan,
I find your blog really helps me in making the bath body products. Thanks for sharing your experience. Is there any way to substitute the Lipid Thix? I live in Jakarta, Indonesia and I cant find the hydrogenated vegetable oil such as Lipid Thix.

Thanks.