Monday, July 2, 2012

What could you make with 57 grams of BTMS-50?

What could you make with 57 grams of BTMS-50? It would cost me $5.95 plus $0.71 in taxes, for a total of $6.66. It works out to about 12 cents per gram. I know this seems like a lot of money, and BTMS-50 isn't cheap, but here are a few ideas of how you could use this ingredient in your products...

I could make a great rinse off conditioner. If I use 7 grams of BTMS-50 in 100 grams of conditioner, I'd be able to make 800 grams of conditioner, or around 750 ml (3 cups) of conditioner. You'd be using $0.83 worth of BTMS-50 in each bottle.

Or I could make my favourite intense conditioner. If I use 7 grams of BTMS-50 in 100 grams of conditioner, I'd be able to make 800 grams of conditioner, or around 750 ml of conditioner. You'd be using $0.83 worth of BTMS-50 in each jar.

Or I could make my favourite leave in conditioner. If I use 2 grams of BTMS-50 in 100 grams of product, I'd be able to make a little more than 2800 grams of conditioner, or a whole ton of leave in stuff. You'd be using $0.23 worth of BTMS-50 in each bottle.

Or I could use it as an emulsifier in a light lotion. If I use 2 grams of BTMS-50 in 100 grams of product, I could make a little more than 2800 grams of lotion. You'd be using $0.23 worth of BTMS-50 in each bottle.

Or I could use it as an emulsifier in a thicker lotion. If I use 5 grams of BTMS-50 in 100 grams of product, I could make 1100 grams of product, or about 4 cups (1000 ml). You'd be using about $0.58 BTMS-50 per bottle.

Just sharing some thoughts I had last night..The post about how much our ingredients cost got me thinking...look for more posts like this in the future! 

4 comments:

Nancy Liedel said...

Because of cost alone, and the attitude of the company that makes BTMS-50, they don't like small companies, I've all, but left it.

I'm debating more for my arsenal, because some things like it very much and if I want to use a conditioning emulsifier and Honeyquat...Ritamulse just does not like those quats.

So, I must give away many dollars, plus shipping to The Personal Formulator and bite this week. I don't want to, but my conditioner bars need the fifty right now. I'm working on one without it. Working hard too. Darn expensive, but loved inci. It's a horrible dilemma.

Nancy Liedel said...

Duh, I meant, "The Herberie," I have to order my BTMS-50 from them. "The Personal Formulator," has my conditioners.

Slaps head to desk.

Mychelle said...

You can use it in a scrub, or make a detangling spray. You can toss it in your shampoo bar or use it in your scrub bar. A little pricey for those purposes but we are talking using what you've got on hand. :)

Nedeia said...

I would go with the leave in conditioner. Especially because I am in this situation myself, and there's no supplier in the EU that would ship it to me :))

So I have to take some time and make that awesome leave in conditioner. With some Monoi de tahiti and some silicones, cetrimonium chloride and panthenol :) Awesome stuff, BTMS-50!!!