Saturday, July 7, 2012

Substituting one preservative for another

I haven't written much this week because I wanted to keep the discussion going on the two topics I posted earlier this week - why did you start making your own products? and shipping from suppliers - but I thought I'd share  a question and some thoughts I've seen or had this week!

Yes, this is Han Solo in carbonite! I found this silicone ice cube tray mold in a comic book shop about six weeks ago, and I thought it would make an awesome soap. This one was made by a young boy in our Yarrow craft group! I also found something to do with Predators and an Aliens head! 

Sara e-mailed me to ask...Here's a question for you. If a recipe suggests that I use 0.5% preservative and I want to use Geogard Ultra which has a suggested usage rate of 0.75-2%; am I supposed to use for eg. 0.5g of Geogard Ultra in a 100g recipe? Or am I suppose to make a 2% solution of Geogard Ultra (2g of Geogard in 100g of water) and then weigh out 0.5g to add to the recipe? I hope I explained this clearly. I'm getting confused just by reading it.

I write my recipes using liquid Germall Plus as my preservative. It has a usage rate of 0.1 to 0.5% in the cool down phase. If you want to use something like Geogard Ultra, you can use it at up to 2% in any phase of your product. If you're using one of my recipes, you'll have to make a small alteration if you're using a preservative that isn't liquid Germall Plus.

Example...
HEATED WATER PHASE
70% distilled water

COOL DOWN PHASE
0.5% liquid Germall Plus
1% fragrance or essential oil

If you want to use Geogard Ultra, you would alter the recipe thusly - add the 2% Geogard Ultra to whichever phase you wish, and remove the extra 1.5% from the water amount in the recipe. (Click here for more information on the water phase if you aren't really sure why I'm removing water from the recipe!)

HEATED WATER PHASE
68.5% distilled water

COOL DOWN PHASE
2% Geogard Ultra
1% fragrance or essential

Hope that makes some kind of sense!

2 comments:

sfs said...

Susan, please, I MUST have that Han Solo mold!! What is the name of the comic shop?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi sfs! I found it at Think Geek and Amazon. The store in which I bought it was Central City Comics in Surrey, B.C., but I don't think they do online orders.

Check out the rest of the kitchen stuff at Think Geek! And they are doing post to Canada now, instead of UPS only!