Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Thanks for your input on the definition of natural!

Thank you so much for your comments about what you consider natural (click here or click here!). They've helped me figure something out - there is no definition of natural. It seems that everyone comes to their own version of what natural means, so it's impossible for me to cater to every variation on that concept. Some of you might consider Ritamulse SCG natural, some of you might consider borax and beeswax as natural. Some of you wouldn't consider hydrolyzed proteins to be natural, some of you would. I think we can all agree that something like cyclomethicone - a silicone - isn't natural, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good ingredient. (I've mentioned this before, but I did see someone saying that cyclomethicone was derived from sand. For seriously?)

I remember when I started this blog, I tried to respond to every single request posed by you, my wonderful readers. How do I make this recipe without silicones? How do I use a different emulsifier? What if I hate insert-ingredient-here? I made myself crazy trying to cater to everyone's specific preferences, so I started offering information on how to make substitutions of ingredients or how to formulate from scratch. I've written countless posts on different skin types and how to adapt our products accordingly.And that's what I'm doing now. I'll offer what I can, but I think I've offered you enough information on the raw ingredients we use and the process by which we create our products that you can make your own substitutions. If you don't like silicones, find a substitute that offers similar results. If you don't like the oils I'm using, then use different ones. If you want to use your favourite preservative, look up the information on it so you can make those changes. I've offered you basic recipes for a variety of different lotions, creams, body butters, and moisturizers, so use those and insert your favourite ingredients in the place of the generic terms.

And please treat me and each other with respect to our ingredient choices. If you want to share your opinion, share your opinion and be proud of it. If you want to share your opinion and call it fact, prepare to share your evidence with me. But let's all play nicely!

Join me tomorrow for a few ideas on making a more "minimally processed" or "natural" lotion with Ritamulse!

Related posts:
Emollients - oils, butter & esters
Skin chemistry & types
First post of the Learning to Formulate series


Lavarie - der Seifenblog said...

Honestly, you offer so much proper information, that I use your blog just the way I use an encyclopaedia. You do an adorable job!

Leslie said...

Lavarie said it perfectly! I do too.

Organa said...

I would say that this site was the best thing I found on the internet about cosmetology, cosmetics, ingredients, all you really need a formulator to make their creations, the best.

Dawn said...

The above three said it well. I wouldn't be as far as I am in being able to create lotions, creams, etc., if it hadn't been for your blog. I'd still be making things, and throwing out as much as I made and wondering what went wrong..........not with this blog to come to. Thanks for all of it!