Sunday, June 17, 2012

A few thoughts for a rainy June Sunday...

With Raymond's graduation and yesterday's fun at free RPG day with a few boys from our groups, I fear I haven't had time to write posts over the last few days. I don't have time today as we're going to the flea market to find controllers for our Game Cube for the Rated T for Teen video game club next Saturday. I'm on holidays for two weeks as of tomorrow, so I will have a ton of time to write! (We're going away for a few days to Portland - where the 1990s are still alive, food trucks roam the streets, and Powell's books welcomes me in to spend my paycheque!)

Thanks for your wonderful sentiments! Friday was a wonderful day, and my amazing husband is now the proud holder of a Bachelor of Arts, Psychology. Things sure are different than they were when I graduated 20 years ago! The convocation was in the local arena with the ceremony streamed live over the web. We could see things close up with the giant TV screens. It was huge! And this was one of three ceremonies taking place this week! 

In an e-mail, Kate asks where she might find black cocoa butter. I love black cocoa butter! I've used it in this scrub bar, this emulsified sugar scrub, and this emulsified sugar scrub with behenyl alcohol.  and this emulsified scrub! You can find black cocoa butter at Creations from Eden in Edmonton, Alberta. This is the only supplier I know for this ingredient!

In an e-mail, Melissa asked if we need to add preservatives to our products if our ingredients already contain preservatives. For instance, let's say our liquid aloe vera has sodium benzoate and our witch hazel has liquid Germall Plus, should we add preservatives to our product? Yes! We always add preservatives to our water containing products. The preservatives we find in the ingredients are enough to preserve that ingredient; there isn't enough to preserve your lotion or other hydrous product. Even we had enough to preserve the entire product you're making, we don't know that it is the right preservative for that product! So always include preservatives in our products!

I've tried dozens of different mascaras to help with what I think are my not-so-voluminous eyelashes, and I keep coming back to Maybelline's Great Lash mascara. I've tried almost every variation of the Lash Blast mascaras, a bunch of Avon ones, and even a Chanel one, and I keep coming back to the pink and lime green bottle, very black colour. And it's probably the least expensive mascara. I bought this for $5.00 Cdn, but I've seen it on sale for $2.99!

I've tried making my own mascara, but I really can't compete with this one! 

As an aside, my mom tried this mascara - Cover Girl NatureLuxe Mascara - and hated it. It has 4 or 5 different waxes, with the main one being beeswax. She felt it was really draggy and didn't make her lashes look anything other than coloured.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can get raw cocoa butter at Oshun in Salmon Arm, BC
http://www.oshun.ca

It's dark brown and raw.

Bunny said...

I go back to Great Lash mascara as well. No matter what else I try, I'm always disappointed and go back to that one. I think it's mostly the brush that makes it so good.

Tara said...

Maybelline Great Lash is the only one I can use as well! I am so disappointed that they don't seem to be making the curved brush anymore, because the straight brush just isn't the same! I can now only find it online :-(

Lise M Andersen said...

Have a great vacay!!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I'm a little sad that the brush has changed, but it still works rather well.

Hi Lise! We're staying home this week as we have a few youth groups to run on Thursday and Saturday, but we hope to go away next Sunday to Portland, if my back can hold up. (I didn't do well at the flea market yesterday!) I have a feeling this will be an at home holiday!

Sciarretta Farms said...

Seriously? Great Lash is bar none the worst mascara I have ever used. It does nothing at all for my short lashes. Right now I use Millions of Lashes (forget who made it, it's in a gold container) and it works almost as well as the pricey but fabulous Lancôme Definicils.

catherine said...

I use elf mascara (eyeslipsface.com). $1. Good ratings on beautypedia.com (beautypedia is to store bought skin care what swiftcrafty is to homemade skin care, imho). It works really well and I'm an amateur (use mascara maybe 1x/wk). Also I read you should throw out mascara after 3 mos. Which was harder to do with my old bobbi brown brand which cost $30. But with the elf $1 brand, no problem.

Kate said...

In the Black Cocoa Butter solid scrub bar for the body, can I just use 4% dimethicone instead of 2% each of dimethicone and cyclomethicone?

Will said...

A big congratulations to Raymond!

Will

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Kate! Of course!