Friday, May 11, 2012

Formulating for hair types - part 2...

Thanks for all your input in this thread on formulating for your hair types. In those comments, I noticed requests for quite a few topics on which I've written so far. (To see all the posts I've written on hair care and products, click on this link for the hair care section of the blog.) When I look at the comments, I feel like I've written all I can on some topics.

The formulating styling products is a neat idea - I've written about gels before, and it's easy to add a little PVP or AMP to create a styling product (conditioning and styling!) - but I think I'd like to write further about it. (Click here for all the posts on gels! Amaze XT isn't the only way to make a gel!) I won't be writing about anything using flaxseed gel as this is very hard to preserve, and I don't like to write about those kinds of products on this blog. I'll focus on carbomers, Amaze XT, and some of the other thickeners, like xanthan gum or cationic guar.

It'll be a while before I can post some of this stuff as I need to do some testing! So keep the suggestions coming (comment in this post or in the original post so I have all the information in one place, please!)

Leman wrote: I am interested in formulation for lots of volume and bounce to fine hair (oily roots) whether that's a shampoo, conditioner, leave-in spray.

If you have fine hair, then check out this post - Chemistry of your hair: fine hair - then this one - Conditioners: Special consideration for fine hair - then check out the posts on the lighter conditioners....
Conditioners: Cream rinses
Conditioners: Modifying cream rinses
Conditioners: Detanglers using cetrimonium chloride

In the same post, kinks wrote: id luv an idea on how to get more slip in a conditioner, ive increased the oils but still not doing it. I wonder if adding more glycerine and cetac would help?

I've written a few posts on this topic...
Conditioners: Adding slip to conditioners with fatty alcohols
Conditioners: Adding slip to conditioners with oils or butters
Conditioners: Adding slip to conditioners with esters

If you want to learn more about something related to hair care, the hair care section of the blog is the first place to start. You can start at the beginning of the series - click newer post to get to the next post - or you can just click on each link that interests you.

Join me tomorrow for more fun with honey!

10 comments:

kerzuke said...

I would like to hear about silver shampoos for blonde hair. How they work and is it possible to make our own?

Kerli

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Is this why I keep seeing blue haired women everywhere lately? Kelly Osbourne and April from Project Runway had that tinge and I think it looks quite odd! I'd put it in the conditioner so you aren't rinsing it out, but I would have to do more research! Thanks for the suggestion!

Clive said...

How do you solubilize the fragrance oil for a clear shampoo without ruining the viscosity? Using a polysorbate such as Tween-20 completely ruins the viscosity.

kerzuke said...

I have heard that silver shampoos help to let blonde hair stay blonde and not go yellow or smth. I havent tried one but i started to think about it because lately when i have done blonde stripes they are not as blonde as earlier and dont stay so blonde. Maybe its the water or i dont know.

Jo said...

I would love to see a styling series... you know mousses, gels, spray or spritz, pomades or whatever people use for different hair types and styles...

Although both yourself, Susan, and your husband have lengths of hair that you test styling products on... Although what happens in the workshop might have to stay in the workshop...

Jo said...

ooo ooo ooo, then you can collate a hair care/styling e-book. Jus thinkin bout de yout dem.

SKNgirl said...

I would love to see some experimenting with Ecomulse/Natramulse (for that Ecocert label appeal). The supplier's websites say it's "...based on the acyl lactylates, which are conditioning to both hair and skin". However, none of them I've seen give any sample formulas for such. Not to mention, working it into other emulsions without an HLB number is frustrating (I've had a couple flops!)

Organa said...

Hello Suzan love seeing your posts about hair and creams, I'm trying to formulate some shampoo and conditioners, but I'm finding some problems such as low foaming, and viscosity.
This formula I'm using a little hair dries, I use Lauil Ether 20% sodium sulfate, Cocoamidopropilbetaina 3%, 1% diethanolamide, Poliquartenium 7 0.5% 0.2% Aloe extract, Wheat Protein 0.2%.
But this shampoo does not foam and muta dries hair use daily, like your opinion.
Congratulations by blog.



Renato.

Lise M Andersen said...

Hey there Susan, I'm incredibly curious about your personal experiences with BTMS and it's hair-protective properties vs build-up. Have you ever run across any stories/complaints/suggestions that it prevents hair dye from 'taking' with prolonged use? Thanks!

Mychelle said...

I have been working on a hair cream for my husband and me for some time. Not a gel, but a smoothing cream. I think BTMS isn't working for this, as it feels like it needs to be rinsed out. That said, I fully encourage a styling aid series. :)