Monday, May 21, 2012

Emulsifiers: An overview

I'm in the mood for some experimenting, so let's play with some emulsifiers! Over the next few weeks, we'll be taking a look at three emulsifiers - Ritamulse SCG, also known as Ecomulse (Lotioncrafter), Emulsimulse (Saffire Blue), and Natramulse (The Herbarie); Sucragel AOF; and Montanov 68, also known as Sugarmulse at The Herbarie.

In the meantime, take a look at some of the links on emulsification and emulsifiers below.

I've seen your requests to work with other emulsifiers, but I have to buy all my supplies myself and shipping to Canada can be very expensive, so I'm afraid I can't accommodate those requests. But please keep sharing ideas with me! 

Related posts:
Lotions: Emulsification - what's that then?
Emulsifiers - check what you've got! 
Emulsifying systems - Polawax, e-wax, and Incroquat BTMS-50
HLB system: Introduction (the start of a series on the HLB)

7 comments:

FooFooBerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FooFooBerry said...

I love your blog and have a question for you.

I made this cream for personal use that I found on pinterest and it's wonderful. The problem is there is no preservative in the recipe.

It's:

1 1/4 cup of hot water
1/4 cup of ewax
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil

Could I just add Optiphen Plus to it at 1 or 1.5% so it won't go rancid? I've had mine for over a week and it's fine.

Matt said...

Hi Susan,

Where did you get the Sucragel AOF? I've been wanting to experiment with this emulsifier but haven't been able to locate a supplier here in North America.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Matt. I got it as a sample. I would love to find it elsewhere, but I haven't found it at any of my usual suppliers.

Hi FooFooBerry. This is not a well written recipe and I'm really not sure why you would want to use it. I get that it might feel nice, but I wonder if this is the only homemade lotion you've tried. (I ask this question as homemade lotions generally feel nicer than store bought, and I'm having trouble picturing this recipe as feeling as lovely as it should with all that e-wax!)

If you want to keep making this recipe, then figure out what 1% of the weight of this recipe might be and add that in preservative. Rancidity and contamination are two different things. You need to add an anti-oxidant to retard rancidity and a preservative to stave off contamination. I'm glad you're thinking about adding a preservative!

Recipes need to be written in percentages to ensure you're using the right amount of ingredients. 1/4 cup e-wax is way too much for this recipe. And you wouldn't use equal amounts of oil and emulsifier ever. You're wasting supplies making this recipe. For 125 ml of water, you want to have up to 40% oil and for up to 40% oil you want 10% Polawax. There are so many good recipes on the 'net, I would encourage you to find one of those and forego this one.

Click here to read a post on what to consider when choosing a recipe...

I think I need to write a post about this recipe and another that was sent to me today!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, so excited to see your post. I love sucragel aof. It is stocked by aromantic in the uk. Can't wait to see what you do with it!! I have used it in a scrub and it turns into a lovely lotion on the skin.

Selina

Anonymous said...

Another big fan of sucragel here I love it :)

FooFooBerry said...

Susan,

Thanks so much for all your information. I have made other recipes before and this recipe did seem different from any of the others as I always use a preservative.