Friday, May 25, 2012

Don't use my blog for free advertising, Tony EMU Farm!

Here's a comment Tony made on this post on emu oilTony EMU Farm-This is an important product in emu-farming. From the fat oil can be extracted. This oil gets absorbed in human skin within 4-5 seconds and reach the bones. Hence this oil is mainly used in skin ointments and also for various cosmetic products. Recent research shows that this oil serves as excellent medicine for arthritis. It is also used as a pain killer. The fatty acids present in this oil decrease the blood-cholesterol level as per the modern research. Because of the medicinal value of this oil, western countries are capturing international markets by producting new cosmetics creams & lotions from this oil. India too has a great opportunity to enter in to international market. 

Thanks for giving me a good laugh, Tony EMU Farm! Let's see how much of this attempt at free advertising is true.

Can an oil be absorbed through our skin and penetrate through to our bones in 4 to 5 seconds? I really don't know where to start with this claim because it's so blatantly idiotic. I can just picture Tony EMU Farm typing up this sentence, then sitting back with his hands behind his head, his chair slightly tilted, and a happy smile on his face as he takes a sip of some hot beverage and congratulates himself for a job well done. Tony EMU Farm, I commend you. You really have to be on the left side of the intelligence bell curve to think this could be true in the slightest. Kudos!

Does research show that emu oil is good for arthritis? I haven't been able to find any really good studies. If anyone has a reputable study, please send it along to me and I'll happily read it.

Is it used as a pain killer? No. I can't find any proof of this. I've seen claims about this, but I have been unable to find any studies.

Does it reduce blood cholesterol level as per "the modern research"? Again, I can find no proof of this.

Tony EMU Farm found this post and decided to comment on it, knowing nothing of my blog and my very strong feelings about spam and unscientific things. As you can see, nothing in his claim can be backed up by research and the first claim is, in fact, ridiculous. I would encourage you to avoid suppliers who make outrageous claims like this. I find it quite amusing that this marketing genius didn't stop to think about the bad publicity his company could receive by making claims of this nature, but I'm sure he believes that old adage that any publicity is good publicity (which is definitely wrong!).

An aside...I found this in a search for his website. "Emu farming is a revolutionary way to uninterrupted source of wealth." Is this multilevel emu marketing? For seriously?

So Tony EMU Farm, please send along all the research you've done or studies you've found to back up this wonderful claim that the oil will penetrate your skin down to the bones and I'll be happy to post it. As for now, I really encourage anyone reading this blog to avoid suppliers like Tony EMU Farm who know nothing about the products they sell. Instead, stick to a nice local supplier with whom you can have a good relationship!

As an aside, I quite like emu oil. I just don't like Tony EMU Farm's attempt to use my blog to promote his business for free! And I really don't like him spreading misinformation on my blog! 

Hope you have a great Friday!


Ingrid said...

Good morning Susan,

I only have one slight variation to your comments about Tony Emu Farm. I don't believe he was sipping a warm beverage, sounds more like a cold one, and quite a few to boot!

His post was good for a hearty laugh, if nothing else.

They walk among us.

Cheers, Ingrid

VickiPS said...

Very nice riposte, Susan. The oil Tony desctibed so glowingly sounded more like snake than emu. (Anyway, I much prefer my emus running around!)

Stc and Company said...

Recently, I have been researching claims and one recent claim is the absorption of mineral oil into the skin. I recently came across this:

" the first question that arises about topically applied products is the degree to which they are absorbed into or passed through the skin. Elias, Ghadially, et al did extensive research on skin absorption of hydrocarbons.5,6 Those studies showed that typical hydrocarbons found in petrolatum and mineral oil penetrate into the outer layer of the epidermis, the stratum corneum (SC), but very little reaches the lower layers of the epidermis and virtually none of the hydrocarbons reach the dermis. Therefore, any reports that topically applied mineral oil or petrolatum is absorbed through the skin and has a systemic effect are in conflict with the published literature."

The excerpt was taken from the HAPPI website article called "Truly natural"- Household and Personal Products Industry.
Tom is preying on the people that won't do the extra digging. I have been using HAPPI as a reliable source of information, maybe he and others should also before making silly claims.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I've just deleted a post from someone commenting on this post wanting free advertising. Rocket scientists they are!

Richard Sandberg said...

The wave of the future is in electronic LED signs. the web site is offering the LED signs are extraordinarily energy-efficient, brighter than neon, cool to the touch and simple to install.