Sunday, April 29, 2012

Question: Does propylene glycol cause badness to our skin?

In this post, seventh77 asks: I've come across various "organic skin care" blog-type sites that claim propylene glycol "denatures" skin and causes it to age prematurely and sag. Is there any truth to that?

I answer the question in the comments in the post, but the short answer is no, there's no truth to these claims. And this is the point of this post...why not ask the people who make these claims where they get their information? I receive questions of this nature just about every day and I wonder why we don't think to write to the person making the statement. Don't get me wrong, I love to see your comments and e-mails, but I think we need to hold people accountable for what they put online. If someone says that silicone is natural because it's derived from sand, ask them for their definition of "natural". If someone says ingredient x is evil, ask them where they found this information. If someone declares that this or that ingredient will denature your skin, ask them for their sources. 

Again, please continue to write to me because I love debunking these kinds of claims, but consider writing to that blog or site author to find out where they gathered their information. It's not only interesting to see how people interpret studies and academic sources, but it helps us understand more about the ingredients we're using! 

1 comment:

VickiPS said...

I appreciate your commentary, Susan. I, too, prefer to respond to unsubstantiated claims by asking for citations and sources. I guess most of us have been guilty of propagating such "factoids" as truth, but with the way they spread so wide and rapidly on the Net, especially, we need to cultivate a degree of polite skepticism in the interests of objectivity. Thank you for your great blog, and particularly for the very high standard of your information.