Saturday, February 4, 2012

Where do I get my information?

I've been asked this quite a number of times in the last few weeks, so I thought it was a good idea to re-post this information as well as information on how you can do your own research!

What are my resources? The Handbook of Cosmetic Science & Technology (3rd edition), Chemistry for Pharmacy Students, Surfactants in Personal Care and Decorative Cosmetics, Poucher's Perfumes, Cosmetics & Soaps (10th edition), as well as Beginning Cosmetic Chemistry and Surfactants, Essential Oils - Science, Technology, and Applications, and other texts. I refer to the web (scholar or books) for more information, and use Ebsco and the search engine at the university and library to access journal articles. I also refer to the manufacturer's data bulletins. I supplement my research with visits to various cosmetic science sites.

You'll notice more references and things like "related posts" at the bottom of posts. This is to provide you with all the information you need if you wish to read more about the topic or check up on my science! 

HOW TO RESEARCH INGREDIENTS (original from June 7, 2010)
Do I need more information on this ingredient? If I did, I might do a search in Google books - choose only those books with limited or full preview (there's a link on the left hand of the screen so you can choose just that type of book). I generally put the word "cosmetic" with any ingredient that might have other applications. For instance, if I put in "olive oil", I really want to add "cosmetic" or "cosmetic chemistry" in the search box or I'll get tons of Mediterranean cooking recipes! The books you'll find here are textbooks relating to cosmetic chemistry, although there are some magazines and other types of books that might not be as reliable, it's still a good resource.

You can also do a search in Google scholar (make sure the "patents included" box is unticked!) for studies on this ingredient or use EBSCO host through your local library or university (this is an awesome search engine, and you can access magazines like Drug & Cosmetic Industry for free!)

If you're planning to do research, keep a notebook - in fact, keep several of them! I prefer graph paper books and I have different topics in different notebooks so I can find things more easily!

Have fun formulating!


Anonymous said...

Try this link: and go to the CBR directory.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Great reference - thanks! But you do have to filter out the press releases from the scientific knowledge some times!

Cosmetics and Toiletries

OrigiNatural said...

Hi, i would like to know where is the best place to purchase the books listed above for the best price? thanks in advance.

Michelle Squyars said...

So could you recommend any particular book to begin with for someone interested in learning more about the science (and art) of cosmetic chemistry? You list off some great resources, but I can't purchase them all at this time. If you could only have one for a beginner, which would you choose? I mean, aside from filling my head with everything "Swift Crafty Monkey" :)

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Michelle. I guess it depends upon what you want to learn. I have found the Handbook of Cosmetic Science & Technology to be the best one for my needs, but I wouldn't call it a beginner book. To be honest, I haven't really found a great book for beginners, which is why I wrote the e-books. (This isn't to toot my own horn! Just wanted to give you some insight. Gosh, that sounds arrogant!)

Cammy said...

Hi Susan,
Please post a link for your e-books to purchase. Also have you used Formulator Sample Shop Elderberry preservative for anhydrous products? If you have what did you think? Thank you!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Cammy. I have all the e-books in a list in the right hand side of the column, but I prepared this post at your request! I figured it's nice to have all the information in once place. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have not used that preservative in any of my products. I wonder how it does? Sounds interesting...

libralillyknits said...

Susan, i'm a lonnnnng time lurker and appreciate your research, dedication and information that you share more than you can know.

Anyhow, you may not be able to answer this as I know you get tons of questions but i'm ready to break down and buy a cosmetic chemistry/ formulation book and not sure where I should start. As we know they are NOT cheap: can you recommend a specific read? Perhaps one that is more comprehensive or one that may be your "go to" over the others?

Thanks so much

libralillyknits said...

Ehhh sorry, not sure how I missed another basically asking the same question!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi libralillyknits! What knowledge are you seeking? If you could be more specific, I could give you more information!