Monday, January 30, 2012

A few administrative things for the blog on a slightly rainy Monday morning...

I'm in the workshop today - it's finally warm enough! - stocking up on just about everything I need! I'm out of or just about out of shampoo bars, conditioner bars, intense conditioner with coconut oil, winter hair custard, intense conditioner with all my conditioning agentsleave in conditioner, body butter, body wash, bubble bath, cuticle balm, hand lotion, sugar scrub, solid scrub bars, and foot scrub bars. (And no, I won't get these all done today, but I can start!)

Okay, I realize that I probably sound pretty mean from here on down...but I have to set my boundaries or I will end up giving too much of myself away and have nothing left for me or the people I love.

Please don't ask me to duplicate any products for you. I wrote that series as a way of teaching you how to do it yourself and thought it might inspire you to learn new ways of making products, and I'm done with it for now. (Click here to see my explanation as to why I'm done with duplicating products.) Instead, why not learn enough so you can duplicate your own products? Check out the formulating series or the duplicating series to see how you might do it yourself! (It's going to take some time, but everything awesome takes time, and it's worth it!)

If you're new to the blog, please read more than the first or second post you see before writing to me. Odds are pretty good that I've written about the topic that interests you before. (I'm up to 1505 posts, most of them about bath & body products!) I know the blog can be huge at times, so check out the tour I've posted in the upper right hand section that says "before you write to me..." Or check out the FAQ to your right. I love getting your e-mails, but you aren't the first person to try to convince me that beeswax is an emulsifier or GSE is a preservative. You aren't the first person to refer me to Skin Deep or the EWG about an ingredient being bad for you. This is why I really recommend that you take the tour before writing to me because you'll get to know a little bit more about my philosophy of formulating and creating products. (I don't have a clue what "natural" means, I believe in preservatives, I don't consider Skin Deep or the EWG reliable scientific sources.) Plus, you'll find out where stuff is, and that's always a good thing!

How do I choose what e-mails I'm going to answer and those things I'm going to put on the blog? Curiosity, mostly. Something piques my interest or lends itself nicely to a blog post, so I'll choose that one. I try to answer as many e-mails as I can in the morning, but please remember that I work full time, take classes at the university, plan and run my youth groups, and have friends and family with whom I want to spend time, as well as doing research and writing the blog, so my time at the computer is very limited. (I also like to play video games from time to time and read!) Please don't be offended if I don't have time to re-write your formula for you: I need time for myself some days.

This is not directed at any one person - please don't take offence if you see something of yourself in this post because it really isn't about you - but to all of you, my wonderful readers, in general. I love this blog - I love hearing about your first time lotions, I love hearing about your hundredth time lotions, I love trouble shooting your problems, I love referring you to places where you can get ingredients, I love seeing pictures from your countries, I love seeing the studies that show I'm wrong, I love learning more about you and why you got into making bath & body products - but I'm only one person with limited time, and I find it hard to get everything done I want to get done in a day.

With that said, join me tomorrow for Newbie Tuesday where you get to show off your amazing lotions! I'm so excited about this! Your pictures and stories are so much fun - keep them coming!


Jessica Spowart said...

Hello. I am making a homemade body butter containing raw shea butter, virgin coconut oil ( main ingredients) and other nut oils...pistachio, walnut, hazelnut and almond. There is no water in my product, so does that mean it won't require a preservative? I am making 8 oz containers, that if used daily would last roughly 2-3 months. Pistachio and walnut have the shortest shelf life of 3-6 months.
I appreciate your input.
Thank you,

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Jessica. If the product doesn't contain water and won't be exposed to water, you don't need a preservative. A preservative will do nothing for the shelf life of the product. That's why you use an anti-oxidant.

As an aside, if you could find a blog post that more accurately reflects the topic you want to discuss, you're bound to get more responses than choosing something boring like this one!