Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tea tree oil: Moisturizers

In all honesty, if your acne is bothersome enough to have you considering adding tea tree oil to a moisturizer, then your face probably doesn't like oils. I'd really ask you to consider making a gelled toner, like this one, and adding tea tree oil with the solubilizer (like the Caprol Micro Express I used in it). Or consider making an oil free moisturizer, like this one. Just add your tea tree oil at 1% to 5% (although that's quite high, in my humble opinion) in the cool down phase. Remove the same percentage from your water phase.

Here's a post I wrote recently on facial moisturizers with tons of links!

Join me tomorrow as we take a look at the chemistry of essential oils!

6 comments:

linda said...

Hi Susan,
I really like you’re post, I have often come across great info from you when researching various ingredients.
I hope you can help me with advise on a oil based cleanser that I would like to make. I have been looking for an alternative to polysorbates and pegs to make it dispersible. At the moment im using a combo of oils with 9% poly 80. Is Caprylyl Capryl Glucoside easly mixed into oil and do you think it could be a viable replacement for the poly 80?
Kind regards Linda

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Linda. I touched on the caprylyl/capryl glucoside in the previous post on toners (click here). But it sounds like you want to make an oil based cleanser, meaning it's all about the oils? Can you please clarify this for me so I can better help you? (If you could include the recipe and your process, all the better!)

linda said...

Hi Susan,
Thank you so much for replying, yes its all about the oils. I blend
78% Sunflower oil
9% polysorbate 80
8% Papaya oil
3% blackcurrant co2 extract
1% calendula co2 extract
0.50% carrot co2 extract
0.1% chamomile co2 extract
0.2% lavender essential oil
I find it to be a mild, nourishing make up remover/cleanser that works well, and is easily removed with warm water and a wash cloth.
I would Just like to replace the polysorbate for something non-ethoxylated. Do you think the Caprylyl Capryl Glucoside would work?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Linda. I say try it and see if you like it. It should work! Let me know how it goes!

luekenj said...

Hi! What about making a facial moisturizer with 10% total formula tea tree oil? This is a lot more than normal essential oil use.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi luekenj. Never use that amount of essential oils in anything as it isn't likely to be safe and it will smell very strongly. Check the suggested usage rates for essential oils before using them.