Thursday, December 15, 2011

Essential oils: Eucalytpus in anhydrous products

I love to use eucalyptus in a number of different products - let take a look at some anhydrous products that might be awesome with the inclusion of this essential oil. Remember that we don't want to go over 1.12% - so stick with 1% - and we'll add the eucalyptus in the cool down phase.

If you've got someone with a cold, Vick's rub can be a blessing. We can make our own version with some menthol, camphor, and eucalyptus!

VASELINE CONSISTENCY RUB FOR HORRIBLE COLDS! 
89.5% castor oil
5% beeswax
1% Vitamin E
2.5% menthol crystals
1% camphor
1% eucalyptus

Heat the beewax and menthol in the microwave or double boiler until melted. In a separate container, heat the castor oil. Pour the castor oil into the beeswax and menthol and beat until it reaches that vaseline-like consistency. When it cools below 45˚C, add the Vitamin E, camphor, and eucalyptus. (The Vitamin E is option - it just extends the shelf life quite some time...but this already has a 1 year life span, so make your decisions accordingly!)

I found the recipe at Voyageur for the non-petroleum baby jelly, but I've altered it to include 4.5% essential oils and menthol. Please don't use this for baby's bums with all those essential oils in it! 

If you like this recipe, consider making a pain relief lotion bar - click here - but include 1% eucalyptus for another essential oil. I like to use 2 parts peppermint, 2 parts spearmint, 1 part cinnamon, 1 part clove bud for my pain relief blend, which I then use at up to 3% of my cool down phase. Replace the cinnamon or the clove with 1 part eucalyptus if you wish. Click here for a recipe for a whipped butter that might be good for sore muscles, or continue reading for a balm that might do the same thing!

I love this balm I'm about to post (find it in its original form here if you want some explanation for all the various ingredients or if you want a different version with way fewer esters) because it's not a greasy product, and I really don't want to be all shiny and greasy when I apply this stuff to my forehead or shoulders and go out for the day.


COMPLICATED BALM FILLED WITH ESTERS AND SILICONES MODIFIED TO INCLUDE ESSENTIAL OILS
20% beeswax
4% cetyl esters
24% shea butter
20% cetearyl ethylhexanoate
2% isopropyl palmitate
13% C12-15 alkyl benzoate
9% capric/caprylic triglycerides
3% menthol

COOL DOWN
1.5% dimethicone
1.5% cyclomethicone
1% eucalyptus essential oil
1% camphor essential oil

Heat everything but the dimethicone, cyclomethicone, and essential oils in a heatproof container in a double boiler. When it has melted, add the silicones and fragrance oil. This balm has a scoopable consistency, so you can wait until it has cooled to put it into jars or tins or you can pour it when it is still warm.

This essential oil blend is all about trying to get a Vick's like blend. If you want this to be more about the muscle pain relief, try the pain relief combination in the previous recipe. If you want to this to be a little more Tiger Balm-y, click to see what you can alter. It looks like clove bud is a major part of that product, which would give it the heat while the menthol, mint, and camphor bring the cold.


Click here or click here for more ideas for making balms! 

Remember! I am not making claims that any of these products will relieve pain or inflammation. In theory, they might, but I haven't had them tested to confirm any of my claims! These are suggested recipes that have worked for me, but that doesn't mean they will work for anyone else. 

Join me tomorrow as we use eucalyptus in other products!

1 comment:

Brandi Yates said...

I just made the vaseline consistency rub. I like it and I think it will be a huge hit for my family (I have four kids) this winter. The consistency is cool, its like a gel. I used peppermint eo and eucalyptus.