Saturday, July 23, 2011

I'm doing science and I'm still alive!

Wow, I'm really flaky lately, saying I'm going to write some posts, then not doing it, then showing up again to say I'm going to write some posts then not doing it and so on. I've been double-plus-ultra-mega-super busy lately (I've done at least two youth groups of some kind Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday this week, with another one today) and I can't seem to find time to catch my breath (in a good way - I'm having a blast). I haven't had any workshop time this month, so I can't share new products or ideas. Heck, I'm running out of everything and if I don't get into the workshop by next weekend, I'll have to buy conditioner (insert dramatic gasp here!)!

Every year my best friend and I pick two new things to learn or do (so far this year, learning to sew clothes and entering a drinking contest last night - note, an Italian soda drinking contest at the 48 hour game-a-thon at our local board & card games store. I came in second to last. I'm okay with that) and I pick something I want to change about myself. This year it's learning to say no and set boundaries (I have some boundaries, but I need to be really vigilant about my personal time.)

If you've ever tried this, you'll find it most interesting. People don't like it when you say no - as Oprah pointed out, if someone won't take no for an answer, they're trying to control you - and interesting things can happen. My friends, family, and co-workers have not only accepted it, they've expressed things like "it's about bloody time!" or "I'm glad you're looking after yourself", but a few will try to push you, and the odd one will get hostile. I've been in the very hostile zone for a few weeks now and it's been taxing my energy. It's hard to wake up in the morning to e-mails besmirching one's good name and go to work with a big smile on your face, but I hope that's over now.

I can't promise posts every day for at least another month - I have to get back into research mode - but I'm really hoping I can get into thrice a week mode. Thanks for your kind words of support!

This post is illustrated with these bath salts because they're from the class on Friday and I thought this was a particularly vibrant jar. Teaching kindergarteners how to make bath salts - try it some time! It's a blast! Click here for the tutorials.


Will said...

Just do what you want.

We'll all happily wait!

If it's not fun, then f... (forget) it.

I (along with the better half) have been trying more crafty stuff, and I hate to admit it, but it's sort of fun.

I've been planning (in my mind only) to make a big crystal chandalier. Patty should've never let me see the Fire Mountain Gems catalog. I'm just wondering how I can mold branches to cast metal - oh, don't even ask!

It may never happen, but it's more fun to think about when drifting off to sleep than work (sorry for the four letter word).

Will :-D

Katie said...

No problem! I've been kind of relieved that I haven't missed any of your posts lately, because I too am up to my eyeballs! : )

Frit said...

I very much enjoy your posts. I'm (slowly) getting into the skin & hair care crafts m'self, and your information is wonderful, thank you!

Here is a quote from Robert A. Heinlein's book, "Time Enough For Love", which I think is appropriate to this particular post:

" Do not confuse "duty" with what other people expect of you; they are utterly different. Duty is a debt you owe to yourself to fulfill obligations you have assumed voluntarily. Paying that debt can entail anything from years of patient work to instant willingness to die. Difficult it may be, but the reward is self-respect.
But there is no reward at all for doing what other people expect of you, and to do so is not merely difficult, but impossible. It is easier to deal with a footpad than it is with the leech who wants "just a few minutes of your time, please — this won't take long." Time is your total capital, and the minutes of your life are painfully few. If you allow yourself to fall into the vice of agreeing to such requests, they quickly snowball to the point where these parasites will use up 100 percent of your time — and squawk for more!
So learn to say No — and to be rude about it when necessary.
Otherwise you will not have time to carry out your duty, or to do your own work, and certainly no time for love and happiness. The termites will nibble away your life and leave none of it for you.
(This rule does not mean that you must not do a favor for a friend, or even a stranger. But let the choice be yours. Don't do it because it is "expected" of you.)"

Once again, thank you for all your time and effort in educating those of us getting into crafts! `/:)

SL Meyer said...

It's okay to take time for yourself, it helps you love yourself. And then you can love others. And we all can tell you do love others.

tawnyat said...

There is plenty of stuff on here to read to keep us all occupied! :)
Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Marnie said...

Real life first, blogging second. I enjoy reading your blog. It's so interesting. There are no hard-fast rules to blogging. Sometimes I only post once a week. It's on my terms :0) Enjoy your summer!

Leman said...

There is so much on your blog. So this gives us time to dig deep! Don't worry about not posting, we love you even if you don't post or even if you said you will and not do so! :-)

I struggle and find if difficult to say no to people... and need to learn to do so..

chowsr said...

You've played Portal? You never struck me as a gamer lol
Enjoy your personal growth :)


Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thanks to everyone for your kind words! Another week of busy-ness then I'm hoping things go back to normal.

I love video games! I have a DSi XL, iPod touch, Wii, XBox 360, Nintengo 64, and I've had every console and portable Nintendo's ever made! I haven't played Portal because I can't play 3D games, but I like to watch my husband playing those kinds of games! I prefer things like Harvest Moon and Cooking Mama most days, and I'm on expert for quite a few songs on bass on Rock Band 3 and I run a video games club at the library (including a girls' Rock Band day).

"Still Alive" is downloadable for Rock Band 3, so we sing it a lot! And it just fit the situation so well!

Anonymous said...

gasp! you will hate store bought conditioner

ruth said...

That's ok...we have just been spoiled..I understand that it must me hard to post something new every day..
I click on your link first thing every see what new challenge awaits me..
I love your blog...
You are a very generous person, to share your knowledge that way you do..

Mich said...

You know what's great about saying "no", even if it is only some of the time? Most people will stop pestering you constantly. Some might even give you added incentives to say "yes". It can be surprising how much a well-placed "no" can make you feel more sane.

At any rate, "no" can be quite a time saver! (Especially if you can get over the need to explain "no", which is what usually trips me up. My explanations for "no" sometimes take way too long...)

So, good for you for saying "no"! I hope it helps you find balance, and very importantly, allow you to enjoy every "yes". We all appreciate how much time you have devoted to this blog (and there is a lot of great info in those pages!).
Take it easy & recharge your batteries!

Bajan Lily said...

Taken me a while to get around to it but I wanted to say I cosign what Ruth said: (You really have spoiled us and even if you never posted again - there is so much already here that we could explore and try!)

"That's ok...we have just been spoiled..I understand that it must me hard to post something new every day..
I click on your link first thing every see what new challenge awaits me..
I love your blog...
You are a very generous person, to share your knowledge that way you do.."

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thank you to everyone for your incredibly kind comments. It's been an interesting few months - I will share the stories in the near future - and I'm feeling awesome!

Frit - I have printed out your comment and have put copies all over my house and office, and have been sharing it with my co-workers and friends. This is what I've been feeling and it's helping me focus on what's really important in my life.

You are all so awesome! Thanks for the support!