Wednesday, June 15, 2011

This is why we don't get to have nice things

The Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup. Cue the riots. Cue the idiots standing in front of a flaming car throwing horns while their friend takes a picture with his smart phone. Cue the tipped over port-a-potties and destruction of the windows and looting at The Bay on the corner of Georgia and Granville. And we wonder why the Vancouver police tell us to stay away from the downtown core on New Year's Eve or Canada Day. World class city? We wish. I'm so ashamed of us.

7 comments:

Celine Blacow said...

I even heard of it on the radio this morning in Ireland! So stupid isn't it? All over a game?! Madness!

Katie said...

Unfortunately, sports just have that effect on a lot of grown men - no matter where you are in the world. It is a rather interesting psychological phenomenon!

Will said...

Katie, I'm sure it wasn't just men.

We heard about this in Cleveland, OH, too.

Weiner roast?

Will

Mountain Farms Soap said...

Me Too! All over a game. We should have been proud to get that far.

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

I feel the same way, being a BC native too. I was slightly more hopeful though when I read on that aby 2am, 10,000 people had pledged to go down and help clean up the next morning.

Other cities may have riots (much larger than last nights' too) but where else in the world do we see the people of the city driving the cleanup? It made me feel good.

Lise M Andersen said...

This made the news here in Copenhagen too... :(

Nancy Liedel said...

In Michigan, Ice Hockey is a religion, not a sport. We worship at the skates of the Redwings, and if you don't...Well, since I'm not into hockey and we don't have a pro basketball, or football team (I am making a joke, please do not write me in horror and tell me about our High school ready pro teams) :) Oh and my city has lost it's Football team for the University of Michigan
(I swear they were around a few years ago)...we must adore The winged red ones. I am not yet fully indoctrinated. hehe