Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What interests you?

Sorry I haven't had time to write up the posts on disodium cocoamphodiacetate but this week went crazy on me. Look for those posts shortly! 

I've been working so hard on the various e-books for the last few months that I kinda feel a bit lost on what to write about next. I like to have a theme - esters, surfactants, hair care products, and so on - and I feel like I don't have one right now, with the possible exception of the posts on substituting.

Is there a topic I should explore further? Is there something I haven't covered? Is there something I have covered but you'd like to see an update? Do you want to see a blast from the past?

The one exception is other emulsifiers - I don't have time to acquire them, so I can't really write about them with any degree of knowledge other than the book learnin' - but if you're interested, look for more about emulsifiers in the new year. And let me know which ones interest you!

Let me know what you'd like to see next!


Dee said...

Hi Susan,

I just found your blog a few weeks ago and LOVE it!
You have so many products and themes already well covered, it's difficult to find something new.

One I always been interested in is tooth paste. I searched by didn't find anything on your blog about homemade tooth paste.
Another theme I would love you input on is Organic.
Not sure many people would be into it, but who knows...

Please keep on posting!


Anonymous said...

Hello Susan,

whatever you write about is fascinating and most interesting! For me substitutions are very interesting since I live in Europe and cannot find many of the "products" you mention - not where I can pay in Euros :)

Many Greetings

Christine said...

Hi Susan,
I would love to see more information on substituting cones in recipes please and using more natural ingredient substitutes if that's possible.
Thank you for all your great work, you are truly a rare gem!
Right, I'm off to buy two of your books.....then I'll have the three.
Take care,

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

HI Dee. I don't think I'll be able to try toothpaste any time in the near future as there's a ton of research that'll need to go into it. As for organic, do you mean certified organic ingredients?

Hi Gina! I'll write something up about INCI names and products later this morning.

Hi Christine. I've addressed the silicone substitutions in this post, and I hope that helps! As for the natural part, I'm wondering if you could be more specific so I can be more helpful? Do you have a specific product or type of product in mind or a specific ingredient? I'd love to hear more from you about this!

Dee said...

Hi Susan,

Yes, about certified organic ingredients.
i.e. are there differences between an organic oil/butter and a non-organic one? (on a formulation stand point)
Is there a specific way to handle/store organic ingredients?
Do organic ingredients bring more benefits than non-organic ones.

My thought behind this: is it worth it dealing with organic or is it purely a philosophical viewpoint?

Thanks again,


Tara said...

I would like to see a post on using honey in bath and body products. We all know it is therapeutic, but there isn't a lot of information on its percentages for use - just the regular "kitchen cosmetics" internet sites....

monet said...

first, thank you for de-mystifying the making of B&B products!

i've never seen such an energetic, knowledgeable & dedicated person as you!

i would love to see some anti-aging products like body lotion & moisturizer using botanical extracts & actives.

i've just discovered cucumber peel extract, gotu kola, ginko and a few others.

thank you so much for sharing your vast knowledge & skills with the rest of us!

monet (heartsong)

sweeteababy0427 said...

I would like to know more about making liquid emulsifications. For example, like a leave in conditioner that has oils and water but I would like for it to stay in the liquid form and translucent (if possible). I saw you post about the spray leave in conditioner but I am thinking in general, if I wanted to make any product like that how would I do it? Which emulsifiers would I use? At what percentage?