Saturday, December 18, 2010

Question: Doubling, quadrupling, and dodecahexing!

Tiffany writes:  I love creating concoctions for myself and others, but I have been stumped on one thing that I hope you can answer.   I know that we have to weigh our ingredients to get the most accurate measure, and I have done that.  My question is once I have weighed my ingredients and converted those weights to volumes can I just double, triple, quadruple etc a batch if I want to create more of it?  I know you can do that in food recipes but I did not know if it would be the same with cosmetics.

Yep! That's why we do things in percentages - if we have 10% of an ingredient, it could be 10 grams, 100 grams, or 1000 grams! I have a little column on my recipe sheet so I can do the math to increase the batch size to whatever size I want. And I haven't noticed any weird things happening when I increase the batch size dramatically (say to make 2 kilograms of lotion, so 20 times my normal recipe) the way you might with a food recipe!

The nice thing is that we can make up big batches of our products and save them to use later on! (Click here for that post!) That's what I'm planning for my holiday time (I'm off until January 5th, so let the experimenting begin!) - I'm making up big batches of products like body wash, shampoo and conditioner bars, bubble bath, and body butter so I'll have enough to take me through until June!

For more information on converting recipes from percentages to weights, click here

11 comments:

Tara said...

I can't wait to hear about your adventures in experimenting! Happy Holidays!

melian1 said...

my niece made me a wonderful form in excel that i can plug in any list of ingredients, any percentages on any of them, and the total batch amount i want to make and it calculates the individual amounts instantly.

when i'm playing with a formula, i just change the percents and it recalculates instantly, and resizing a batch is the work of about 2 seconds. and i don't have to worry that my math is wrong or i've made a mistake.

i am not tied to doubling for ease of math! i love it, and don't know what i'd do without it.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I recently quadrupled on a body butter of 80% butter 20% oil and every time i scoop it into a jar, i start to notice tiny bubbles and some melting. =( I have no idea what's going on and what I'm doing wrong. tHe only thing I can think of is the heat in my house? =( please help!
Thank you!
~Elan

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Elan. Since I don't know the butters and oils involved, I have no idea what's going on with the product. Can you give me more information on the ingredients and proportions and I might be able to help you out a little better.

Anonymous said...

Sure! I'm using Babassu oil as the main ingredient followed by refined/deodorized cocoa butter, nicoleta shea butter, sweet almond oil, meadowfoam seed oil, vitamin E, cornstarch and fragrance.
Thank you!!
~Elan

Anonymous said...

oops! proportions.
is it possible for me to email you the proportions? or you can email me.
e_sharp48@yahoo.com
Thanks a bunch!!!
~Elan

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Elan. I'm thinking the babassu oil might be the reason for the melting - it melts on body contact, so if your house is quite warm, you might see some melting. (I've sent you an e-mail for more information, so look for it.)

But making a larger batch shouldn't change the way the lotion feels!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan ! I'm Stephanie :o)

I love LOVE L.O.V.E. your blog ! It's so informative and helpful. Thank you and kuddo's to you for doing all this research and sharing your discoveries with us !

I'm fairly new to lotion making and I've tried 7 different varieties so far, some of which were total duds and some that are pretty good…

I have chosen to weigh everything as I think it's the best way to do it according to all my research however, for ingredients that I have to suck out of a small bottle, can I use my syringe and assume that 1ml is equal to 1gr even if the viscosity differs from one ingredient to another ? I know that for instance, Vit E would weigh more than water but in such small batches, does it really impact the end result if I assume 1ml = 1gr ?

Thanks again and again :o)
Steph

Anonymous said...

It's Stephanie again,
I don't want to have to create a google mail account which is why I wrote under anonymous. My email is stephanie.gallovich@me.com FYI
Thanks !

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Stephanie! Thank you for your very very kind words. It's always nice to hear that someone is enjoying the blog. I'll be posting the answer to your question in Monday, December 1st's Weekday Wonderings. The short answer is that it is important to measure accurately.

Heather said...

Hi Susan!

I'm a bit confused... Could you provide an example on how to doulbe or triple a recipe? Especiall when the percentages aren't round numbers. Do you round up or down? I just want to make sure I'm doing the calculations right in order to douple or triple my recipe :)
I recalculated the percentages of my recipe because the ingredients didn't add up to 100 grams so, for example, 10 grams of a butter is now 10.63% so I'm a bit hesitant as to which way to go when rounding up numbers. Also, if I understood correctly, if I want to double this particular recipe I should multiply the percentage (10,63% x 2) instead of 10 grams x 2, right?

Thanks again!

Heather