Monday, December 13, 2010

The lotionmaking 101 e-book is finally done!

After much work, I've finally put together all the posts on this blog relating to lotion making in the Lotionmaking 101 e-book! It runs 305 pages and 95,647 words, and you'll find everything I know about the basics of lotion making, chemistry of lotions, all the ingredients we use, information on anti-oxidants and preservatives, and a ton of recipes for lotions, body lotions, body butters, light lotions, moisturizers, shaving lotions and more. Rather than re-write the whole thing here, click here to see the table of contents (which runs 8 pages!!!).

With a $29 donation to my youth groups, I'll send you a copy of the book!

Thanks to your generous contributions for the last two e-books (Back to Basics and Hair Care Products: Shampoos & Conditioners), we've been able to fund our four youth groups at the Chilliwack and Yarrow libraries (Genshiken, Games Night, Rated T for Teen video club, and How's That Made, the craft group) into the new year, and we've been able to expand our groups to include the bi-weekly pregnant and parenting teen activity group, Rockin' Out with the Girls (all girl Rock Band day), and the new role playing groups that start in January! (And we're hoping to get an artist friend of ours to offer a drawing class!) Every penny of your donations goes to support our programs, to buy supplies, equipment, food, and treats, and to buy supplies youth can take home to continue the crafting fun and increase their mastery of our projects.

For more information on our groups, click here.

If you click on the little button below, it'll automatically donate $29 in Canadian funds to my group. The book will come to you by e-mail shortly thereafter.



When you donate, I'll also send you a compressed file of the carrier oil, exotic oil, butter, and preservative charts as a handy dandy reference (I couldn't put it in the e-book due to formatting issues, and Word is driving me nuts already!)

Thank you to everyone who has supported or is planning to support our groups. You have no idea how much this means to me and how much it means to the kids. Our present making Christmas extravaganza later this week will include five projects - bubble bath, soap, chocolate, beeswax candles, and Shrinky Dink trinkets - thanks to your generosity! And our Christmas extravaganza in Yarrow included glitter powder, lip balm, bubble bath, and bath salts - all of those supplies sponsored by readers like you!

What does your donation do for our youth groups? $29 can buy 14 pairs of scissors or 6 metres of fleece (it's buy one, get one free this week!). $29 can buy all the veggies for games night, video game club, and Rockin' Out with the Girls! $29 can buy 144 pairs of earrings and all the beads and findings to make them! $29 times five can buy us a new sewing machine for our upcoming learning to quilt class (and we desperately need a new one as mine is dying!). We can make $29 go a long way - I get tons of discounts and freebies - and every penny helps us continue the programs!

If you have any questions about the groups or your donation, don't hesitate to write to me (Susan, aka Swift) at sjbarclay@telus.net!

39 comments:

Laura said...

Just ordered mine - can't wait!

melian1 said...

freaking fantastic!

ukihunter said...

Just ordered mine and am so happy to support your group. You are freakin amazing Susan!

Anonymous said...

just donated!
Vickie

Erica said...

Thank you so much for such a wonderful blog; I've looked all over the net for something that's so comoprehensive! I just donated, can't wait to start learning/making some lotion. It's great what you do for these kids, keep up the fabulous work!!

Nedeia said...

I have the feeling that was the best 29$ ever spent :-)))

I am looking forward to receive the eBook, and I hope that the small donation will be of a help to your group!

Cheers from Romania!

Isis said...

Wow I can't wait to read mine. This is amazing, you've done something from the goodness of your heart cos at a shop a book like this would cost so so much more. Thank you

kcdelong said...

I hope this button is still good! I just ordered and I can't wait for an email!

Casper said...

Can't wait .. my son just ordered it for me for Mother's Day.

Lynda said...

I'm so looking forward to making myself some lotion :)

Tashia Owen said...

I'm really excited!! I'm ordering mine right now! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Sent!

o said...

Great resources and its nice to support teen groups.

Anonymous said...

Thank you i just sent mine, can't wait for your e-book

Annette said...

Just left my donation. Anxious to see yo ur book.

lallan said...

Thank you Susan for putting up this blog and sharing your knowledge with the world. My very best wishes for your youth group. Happy Holidays!
I am excited to receive my lotion book.
Thanks again

Louise said...

Okay.... you've got me curious... though I don't know why. It's good to create something from information gleaned from your blog entries. Everyone contributes. I don't know how old you are, but something tells me you're pretty young.... and something else tells me you're pretty smart. You've got a keen business sense. Good luck with that.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Louise. I'm not young - I turned 44 a few days ago - and I think the last thing someone would say about me is that I have any business sense at all, but I thank you for your kind words. (I think being around the kids might make me seem younger as I use a lot of their idioms and language!) I'm always happy to inspire curiosity in someone - I need the company in my quest for knowledge! :-)

Paula Robinson said...

I hope that I did this right. I can't wait to get my book and very happy to support your group!

Anonymous said...

Just put in an order for mine!! Can't wait! Thank you so much!!

Tauni Park said...

I just donated and cant wait to get my e-book.I have been making lotion for awhile but just ran across your blog while watching a video and I love how in depth you go. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us.
Tauni from Texas

Angelsthreeinc said...

I am so excited and patiently awaiting my action packed email! I plan to order the other ebooks as well.

Hasan Bouz said...

I am waiting for my copy

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

As I mentioned on the blog, I'm away until Thursday on holidays. As well, I don't see a donation in your name. Can you send me more information?

Head 2 Toe said...

Hi Susan, can you please tell me if the majority of these recipes are natural or if they use synthetic ingredients?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Head 2 Toe! What is your definition of synthetic? What is your definition of natural? I ask because there are so many different definitions, it's hard to know what your particular philosophy will allow.

The point of the books is to teach you basic lotion recipes that you can modify how you wish. They all use e-wax, Polawax, or BTMS-50 as the emulsifier. They call contain preservatives, which is good practice. Otherwise, you can alter each recipe as you wish. Take a look at some of the recipes on the blog and see if you like those. They'll give you an idea of what the recipes in the e-book are like. For instance, look up the idea of "basic" and "recipe" to see the base recipes I use.

Lars said...

Have just donated and am looking forward to receive the ebook :)
Lars

Anna said...

Hi, I just donated and look forward to reading your book

Alanna said...

Do you still need a sewing machine? I have a few extras kicking around, including a serger if you can use it.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

HI Alanna! I don't need one for the groups, but I know one of the kids in my group desperately wants one!

Megan Johnson said...

Susan: I just started making my own lotions and things over the winter. Your well-written and informative blog is a god-send! So excited to read the Lotion 101 e-Book!

Cheers from Louisville, Kentucky

Deb Manning said...

Hi Susan, I just donated for this and the facial ebooks. I am so excited! After lurking around for months, and playing with formulating for over year now, this is the only place I come for information now.

I especially love that you target oily acne skin in depth, which I still have at age 55.....

Again here are two emails for me just in case you run into any glitches with PayPal notifications: deb@shabiskincare.com or dkaylu@yahoo.com

Thanks, Deb

Unknown said...

Just donated to an awesome cause! I'm really looking forward to reading Lotion Making 101 - it will be like Christmas when it arrives in my inbox. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge!
Amanda

Lamya Islam said...

Hi Susan,

I've become a recent fan of your blog! I've just donated and I'm really excited to read your book

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Lamya! Thank you! Check your email inbox as I sent it a few minutes ago!

Mirror_Sound said...

Hey Swift,

Just wanted to express how grateful I am for all the knowledge you've shared over the years. I've only been nosing around for two weeks but find myself coming back for reference time and time again. I in awe at the amount of work you've put into this blog, there's so much to read!
My donation was inevitable, but that lotionmaking 101 and references sure are tempting ;)

Thank you

NN said...

I donated today and now I'm looking forward to your e-book. Thanks a lot.

Kwansema Quansah said...

Hi
I can't donate because my country( Ghana ) is not supported by your PayPal. Please help so I can donate and also get the e- book. I need it for my little start up business.

Thanks

Kwansema Quansah said...

I want to really donate cos I need the book earnestly for my new business but I can't cos my country ( Ghana ) doesn't have access. Please help.

Kwansema