Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Query: Does anyone know how to soothe a coughing dog?

I love my little Blondie dog, but she's keeping me up all night and that's not a good thing for someone who is still recovering from the flu! (If I don't get 8 hours of good quality sleep, I'm cranky at the best of the times. But 6 hours when I'm still feeling really achy and sore? Eek!)

Does anyone have any ideas how to help a coughing dog? The humidity is incredibly low right now (20%) and it's incredibly cold (-10˚C) and windy. She can't go outside as often as she would like because of the horrible wind and our bedroom is very cold (we don't have any heating in the room and the windows aren't as well sealed as they could be. It was about 55˚F or 13˚C last night!). I'm fairly sure this is the cause of the problem as it happens every time we get very dry weather.

We have bowls of water scattered all around the house, and I've been giving her spoonfuls of honey - my logic is that her throat is dry and a humectant would be helpful - and I did try a little glycerin with her yesterday, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears! I'm exhausted and feel so badly for the tiny dog who can't stop coughing!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! We've had the humidifier on all day and she's doing well. The only coughing we've heard is when she comes in from the very chilly outdoors and when one of us comes back into the house and she is overcome by joy (much like when we laugh until we cough). We have the  space heater on in our room as well, so I think we might all get a little sleep tonight! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your suggestions (and Blondie barks her thanks as well!). 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has she been around other dogs lately? She can have Kennel Cough, it's like a doggie cold. My dogs got it from the Vet clinic, of all places, socializing with the other sick dogs. He may need an antibiotic. Good luck, I hope the pup gets well soon.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Good thought, but Blondie doesn't like other dogs and rarely encounters them, except on one of her many daily walks. She's a bit of an anti-social princess dog, preferring the company of people over pups. (I've always said if she were a person, she'd be the popular cheerleader type who believed she should always be the centre of attention.) I just looked up the symptoms, and she's not lethargic at all - if anything, she's bouncing around the house with cabin fever (it's just too cold to let her out for more than a moment or two!)

Thanks for the suggestion! I do appreciate it!

scorpiofire88@hotmail.com said...

One thing that helped my guys last year when they had kennel cough was children cough sirop for dry cough . Our vet recommended it ,calculated the dosage for each of them , along with antibiotic . Honestly , not many things will make a dog cough , i would visit the vet ,

Kristen said...

My boxer baby will do this sometimes now that we live in the moisture-sucking North. I have found a hot mist humidifier next to her bed helped a lot (actually was nice for me too).

S. K. Alexander said...

This may sound odd, but my 16 year old yorkie gets a dry cough every now and then, but she's never sick. It sounds more like choking, but she's not choking. The holistic vet recommended that she sleeps with a humidifier! I tried it and wow, it worked.

Every now and then, I add a couple of drops of chamomile and lavender EO so that we can all enjoy the aromatherapy. Oh, did I mention that she sleeps with me, lol. I even bring the humidifier along when we travel, she sleeps like a puppy now.

((hugs Blondie))

Tara said...

Steam from a hot shower would help with the dryness. I swear by raw honey for easing sore throats and such. I'm sure your dog won't mind you trying it ;-)

Mychelle said...

I hope Blondie feels better - poor baby! I agree with the humidifier, a steam while you take a hot shower, and try keeping her as warm as possible at night. Lots of blankets, and maybe a space heater to warm up the room before you go to bed. My cat has the same problem in winter, and these things have helped her immensely. All my love to Blondie!

Anonymous said...

Try a warm steam vaporizer from the drugstore. They humidify the air well and they cost less than humidifiers. A vaporizer helps me avoid dry coughs, dry sinuses, and dry eyes. To keep the dog warm, try a doggie bed with a hot water bottle in it. You could put a space blanket or tin foil under the bed and some down pillows or old down coats around it to keep her body heat in. Good luck!
CC

Anonymous said...

I know this is a very old post, and hopefully, you've found a solution by now, but another suggestion is heating a couple of wheat bags made with corduroy (rather than 'cold' material like satin) or flannel, in the microwave until they're comfortably warm for her, and place them in her bedding with a blanket over them to trap the heat in.

That and perhaps a humidifier in the bedroom, as someone else suggested, with a little lavender rubbed into her chest at bedtime.

I used to do this for my old Bichon Frise day and night, and it helped her keep comfortably warm no matter how foul the weather.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thanks for the suggestion. We did what you suggested - bought a humidifier and put warmish flax bags on her - and she's been fine. The vet said she was overweight, so we put her on a diet, which is hard given how adorable she is! Thanks so much for the suggestions!