Monday, November 1, 2010

Preservatives: Suttocide A

Suttocide A is a unique preservative with its main ingredient being sodium hydroxymethylglycinate (50% in aqueous solution). It's a broad spectrum preservative with good anti-bacterial properties, and its fungi, mould, and yeast killing properties increase with the quantity used. So if you have something you really want to preserve, you're better off using up to 0.5%! It is water soluble, so it's suitable for most products we make except for the anhydrous ones!

This preservative is made by reacting a mixture of glycine (an amino acid) and sodium hydroxyide in water with formaldehyde. So as you can probably guess, it's a formaldehyde releaser.

This seems like a very picky preservative in that it needs to be added in the cool down phase of your product (below 60˚C), but there are special considerations for different products. For shampoo, body wash, and other surfactanty things, you need to add it at 0.1% to 0.3% when it's below 60˚C but before you thicken it with salt. For conditioners, you want to use it at 0.1% to 0.2%: It can interact with your quats, but it won't be de-activated by them. It's suggested at 0.5% for emulsions - add it when the product is below 60˚C but before you add the fragrance. And if you want to use it to gel your carbomers - read the data sheet for more information!

The different amounts correspond to how hard the product is to preserve. My shampoos and body washes tend to be chock full of botanical ingredients like aloe vera and hydrosols and proteins and extracts, so I'd probably want to use 0.5% just to be on the safe side.

If you are using Suttocide A as your preservative, you might want to check the pH on your final product as it can skew it a bit to the alkaline side of things.

Summary of Suttocide A
INCI: Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate
Usage: 0.1% to 1% in the cool down phase before adding fragrance. (It's approved in the EU at up to 0.5%).
Products must contain some water. Not suitable for anhydrous products.
Good for products with a pH of 3.5 to 12.
Suitable for use as a gelling agent with carbomers due to the high alkalinity of this preservative.


melian1 said...

various folk on the dish forum have noted that if suttocide A is used in a formula in which there is anything of the citrus family, it will turn your product pink to deep red. as an example, verbena is citrus, litsea cubeba is citrus, bergamont is citrus. this has been observed to happen quickly (overnight) to slowly (months).

Peter said...

We spent a lot of time looking at "natural" preservatives. Suttocide-A being one of them. Originally stated as very low PPM formaldehyde so not considered a donor. Now EWG (cosmetics database) changed suttocide-A's safety rating from a 2 to a 6 overnight (couple months ago). We had just finished stability testing with great broad-spectrum results. Literally the day I was going to order a pail of it for production the EWG news hit the fan. So we wasted a lot of time and $$$. Can't touch suttocide-A as the manufacturer (ashland) had mistated it's specs in the sales literature. I'm sure they are in for some lawsuits from companies who have changed over all their product labels to that ingredient (big $$$). Luckily we caught it in time.

Can you comment on Symbiol 68T from Symrise? Tropolone, 1,20hexanediol, caprylyl glycol. All EWG rating of zero. But all have "limited data". This is what happened with suttocide-A, companies started using it then data came in it's formaldehyde donor. Risky business. I'm totally frustrated.

Customers won't even tough phenoxyethanol or any other viable paraben replacer.

I'll check back for any comments.

Marisol said...

Hello Susan. Thank God you had a post on this product. You see, since I live abroad, for me it is much easier to find Sutocide-A than it is to find Germall-Plus (and much cheaper!) so I was wondering what you think about using it in body lotions. Can you tell me? Best regards and many thanks as always.

terriblybadgrrl said...

Susan dearling, as the posters before me, I too am immensely grateful to you for posting this. I did recently purchase it along with AMTicide (which I've not been able to find specific posts on your blog, other than in others comments). After reading your entry, I stuffed the Sattocide as far the heck as possible, save where the sun don't shine, pun intended.
I've been using Neodefend/Geoguard(plus??! Not heard of that one, unless it's the very Neodefend under dif name.
I've been experimenting with AMTcide in a bit of chaotic manner, as I've had to set some extract concoction I've made from capsules I had around, including red wine extract. I was going to leave it this way overnight as was getting too sleepy to proceed, hence the spontaneous decision to add a few drops of AMTcide, and check it out while at it...Boy was that the catastrophic move!!! Prior to adding it, I was ecstatic over how pretty it looked. Next morning, not only did it change color to less than attractive but it reeked so odiously, I've had to get rid of it at once. BUT it strangely reminded me of something I've smelled before and then it hit me:
Something about both my skin and hair chemistry reacts with the EXACT hellish stench a couple of minutes after any pure coconut oil including fractionated come in touch with said skin and hair. I once fell asleep with coconut oil in my hair and could not get that insanely rancid smell outta my poor locks for at least 2 months!
Aside for my still finding this tragic yet intriguing fact terribly fascinating and must solve the riddle, all I can say for the time being that I must be hella Anionic Chic, baby, since Lotioncrafter has been real and honest enough as always, to warn that "AMTicide COCONUT is a cationic material, so it may be incompatible with anionic formulations".
I'm wondering if the red wine extract might be anionic(?!). I also used pine bark(powder, and another extract which was already in liquid form dissolved in glycerin and water.
I hope my long story makes some sense, and as an aside, why is glycerin considered a solvent?! because it's a disperser?
Mind you, I've given AMTcide another try, and I can't take the smell, so I'll keep it at lowest % while keep wondering what to couple it with.
Yours truly,

terriblybadgrrl said...

I apologize: I've just searched your blog again, this time typing Geoguard instead of Neodefend, so yes, you do have an entry on that. I was about to order it tonight, and now am at a loss, but that's another story.