Wednesday, November 24, 2010

31 days until Christmas!

To celebrate the coming holiday season, I have decreed December shall be the month of tutorials, recipes, and gift ideas. So I pose this question to you - what interests you? What do you want to make?

Do you have a new oil or exotic ingredient you'd like to use or do you want to see some variations on some of the oldies and/or goodies? Do you want some ideas on kits you can put together or stand alone products? Are you a newbie who needs some directions to recipes you can make for the first time, or are you an experienced bath & body creator who wants more ideas for products?

I'll still be offering helpful hints, chemistry fun, and whatever else pops into my head, but I love knowing what you want to see next.

Let me know in the comments! (Tomorrow's supposed to be a snow day, so I have some time to do some writing and experimenting in the workshop, so get those comments in as soon as you can!)


Mary said...

Well, it's not exactly bath and body, but I'd love to know how to use surfactants to make laundry detergent - kind of the opposite of a body wash, but if anyone could do it, I think it would be you. The only formulations I can find use soap as the base, which is no good for someone with hard water.
Another thing I was wondering about was baby powder thing I've read is that it's made from lavendar and chamomile essential oils but I've never actually tried it.
Finally, I'd love some suggestions on making a diaper ointment for treating yeast rash.
This is such a great site. You really do know your stuff.

Anonymous said...

Susan, thank you very much for your generosity!
My question is: what would you put in products like massage oil/massage butter?

Tara said...

I want to make my own "bases", such as the one from Voyageur here:

It's ingredients are listed as water, e-wax and preservative. Apparently you can add your own oils, floral waters and other ingredients at room temperature.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever worked with Arlacel 165? I would love to see a cream or body butter made with that! (Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate)
Thanks for your wonderful blog!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Mary. This is a great idea, but I'm really apprehensive about suggesting something that could ruin an expensive machine like a washer. (One of my friends recently destroyed her 2 year old washer by not use the high efficiency stuff, so my apprehension has increased ten fold!) I know Voyageur had some detergent recipes at one point, but it's not on their site now. If you want to e-mail me, I could send you their recent newsletter including their recipes, but they are all based on using their laundry soap base.

I have no idea about the baby powder scent. I'm sorry - I'm not that good with fragrances, and given that chamomile is really expensive, I haven't experimented much!

A diaper ointment is a good idea, but I'm always apprehensive about making a claim about something. Are you talking about something like zinc oxide cream?

Hi Anonymous! The massage oil or butter is a great idea...look for that shortly.

Hi Tara. I have no idea how that would work. Are you supposed to heat this product up and add the oils and so on, because that might mess with the preservatives big time (and I know Voyageur doesn't sell any preservatives that can handle heat). Can you give me a bit more information on the product?

Hi Anonymous #2. I've never seen that product, let alone worked with it, so I won't be able to write any posts on that topic unless I can find it at my local suppliers or I can get a sample of it from somewhere. Can you tell me more about it?