Friday, October 8, 2010

Warning about Brazilian blowouts

As we heard in the news last night, Health Canada is warning against the Brazilian Blowout, an in-salon hair straightening method, as it can contain up to 12% formaldehyde (the Canadian limit is 0.2%). The company distributing this product claims in really large letters NO FORMALDEHYDE, so it will be interesting to see what they have to say about this statement by Health Canada. If you'd like to read more about this, check out the press release issued by the Oregon Health & Science University (they found up to 4.85% to 10.6%!).

When I saw this product, I tried so hard to find the ingredient list without luck. I still can't find any information on what it contains, but I can find countless sites and countless stylist claiming there's NO FORMALDEHYDE!

As you can see, my best friend and I are curly girls - well, at least at my wedding - that's why I put this picture with this post. I really had no other ideas for pictures as I don't really have anything Brazilian in my iPhoto collection. (Oh, that sounded bad...)


Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

my hair is stick straight. I'd kill for your locks. BTW, I worked on a conditioner from one of your recipes, with some suggested tweaks. Centronium Bromine is amazing! I cna comb right through my damaged on the ends straw and it actually feels like hair again! It's by far, beyond the best conditioner I've ever used. My hair is soft, but not too oily. I could not find my orange butter, so I went with a mix of Shea and jojoba and may never try anything else again. My picky oldest son, 13, who thinks all the universe revolves around him, loves it too. Thank you. This is good enough to sell. Once it sits for months and months to see if it seperate's, or grows into a little monster in the closet. It's easier than scenting someone else's stuff, by far. It's also better than anything, and I've been a conditioner snob my entire life. Seriously.

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

ps, I voted for you guys this week and made my family vote too.

p said...

Thanks for this post. One of my friends uses the Keratin treatment, which also advertises NO FORMALDEHYDE, but I wonder. Do you happen to know anything about Keratin hair treatment?