Monday, October 4, 2010

A reminder to vote for my youth groups

As I mentioned on Friday, I've set up a page on the Aviva Community Fund application site and I'm asking you to vote for Rated T for Teen, our youth programs at the Chilliwack and Yarrow libraries. You can vote up to 10 times, and we'd be so grateful for any and all support. Please share this with other people you know who love the idea of youth hanging out in the library learning crafts, playing games, or enjoying some anime or manga!

If you want to know more about our groups, click here!



pish said...

I voted, and I'm passing the info along to everyone else I think might vote, too. Best of luck to you!

Isn't is awfully ridiculous and sad that all these groups have to compete for funding?? Looking through the pages of applicants, I thought most (if not all) of them should be able to get money no problem through the gov't. What a bummer reality check. :/

Mychelle said...

Done! You do so many good things for so many different communities Susan. You are an inspiration to those kids, and the B&B community (and everyone else, I'm sure). You do good things for the world!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi pish! It's a tragedy that any of us have to compete for funds for such worthwhile causes. But the government can't be bothered any more with small projects like ours when there are all kinds of big projects like the Olympics that create legacies for the politicians. Which makes one ask oneself - which one has the greater impact?

Hi Mychelle. Thanks for the kind words. I love my groups and I think we're doing good work creating relationships with the kids and letting them know there are adults who care out there.

It's all so worth it. I met a young woman yesterday for coffee - I've known her for five years, and she was one of the founding members of games night. She's in university now and wants my job! And I met another young woman I've known for four years today at her house to see her new baby. I was a witness at her wedding last year, and I feel so honoured she has invited me to be part of her life. Funding or not, I'll keep doing this work. It's worth it.

It's just too bad the Powers that Be measure everything in dollars instead of lives.